Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's wrong with my Kingstom RAMS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lazydirtt

lazydirtt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:50 AM

when i bought new cpu with 2gb x2 kingstom ram pc2 6400 cl6 800. everything was fine. i checked system and it stat 3.25gb in total.
i've no idea why the remaining 0.75gb was gone. after using my cpu for like 2 months, 1 of my ram in second yellow slot is not working.
i checked using cpuz and system, it stated 2gb. i thought the second ram is not working, so i went to buy new 2gb ram.
i took out the second ram and plugged in new ram. when i on cpu, my screen went blank. i kept switching on and off until it loaded.
okay now, i checked using cpu and it stated 4gb. after awhile, i decided to put the ram that is not working on the 3rd slot.
guess what? cpuz stated 6gb while system stated 3.25gb. is there something wrong with my motherboard?
my motherboard is asus p5 se/r. could i buy 1 more 2gb ram so that everything will be okay? i've no idea what to do next.
i took screenshots of system and cpuz in case. anyway, please advice me. thanks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lazydirtt

lazydirtt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

now i checked again using cpuz, look what it stated;
Posted Image

slot 1: 44288 MBytes
slot 2: 2048 MBytes
slot 3: 2048 MBytes
slot 4: empty
total: 48384 MBytes

i don't know whether i could be happy that it's 48gb of ram? like super high?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

There's nothing wrong, if you are running 32-bit Windows XP.

XP can only accommodate a max of 4GB installed RAM and not all of this will be reflected anywhere other than the BIOS, msinfo32 data and when running something like Memtest or other diagnostic. In your case, the 2 times 2048 data is correct.

I don't know anyone who has ever bothered to try to run more RAM on 32-bit Windows...because many users know that 4GB is the max that XP will acknowledge/use.

TabBlogger The 3GB-not-4GB RAM problem - http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007...am-problem.aspx

Example: I have 4GB of RAM installed in my other system, but it reflects 3.37GB as useable when I right-click Properties on My Computer.

If a user wants to employ more than 4GB of RAM...user needs a 64-bit operating system, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users