Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Not a valid Win32 application" when I click a file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

I use a free music software program called Audacity. I used it before on a computer different from the one I have now. The version is the same, except on my current computer, when I click audacity files, they don't open the audacity program. I get the message that a file is not a valid Win32 application. I can open the file if I open audacity first and then use audacity to open the file, but that is the only way. Also, on the other computer, the audacity files had the audacity icon but the audacity files on this computer look like the icons for text documents. How can I fix it so that I can open these files by clicking them and they have the Audacity icon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

Right click on one of the Audacity files and select "Open with...". If Audacity is in the list select it. If it is not in the list click "Browse..." and navigate to the Audacity executable file. Then make sure that "Always Use the Selected Program..." is checked and click OK.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

OR

You can run Audacity installer again and choose to "Asscociate Audacity project files".

#4 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

Right click on one of the Audacity files and select "Open with...". If Audacity is in the list select it. If it is not in the list click "Browse..." and navigate to the Audacity executable file. Then make sure that "Always Use the Selected Program..." is checked and click OK.

I tried that and got the same error message.

#5 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

OR

You can run Audacity installer again and choose to "Asscociate Audacity project files".

The uninstaller and setup application are the same. Do I have to uninstall the program to associate the project files? Will I lose all of my recordings?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

Were you logged in as Admin?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

The uninstaller and setup application are the same. Do I have to uninstall the program to associate the project files? Will I lose all of my recordings?

When you run setup from setup executable file (for example audacity-win-1.2.6.exe), you dont have to uninstall. Make sure audacity is not running.

Just choose to install in same directory when asked. And choose to "Asscociate Audacity project files".

So you dont have to uninstall.

#8 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:14 AM

Were you logged in as Admin?

Yeah, I was.

When you run setup from setup executable file (for example audacity-win-1.2.6.exe), you dont have to uninstall. Make sure audacity is not running.

Just choose to install in same directory when asked. And choose to "Asscociate Audacity project files".

So you dont have to uninstall.

Your advice worked. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users