Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maymiceli

maymiceli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

Hello everyone, not a computer expert so please bare with me. I just bought a new computer, instead of a modem it has a realtek ethernet card, will this ethernet card work with a regular phone line or do I need a differnt connection from a service like road runner, thanks for your time, sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

:thumbsup:, maymiceli:

If you are going to get a dial-up service with an internet service provider(ISP), you will need a modem. There are 2 types of modems, internal and external. Internal modems are more popular and cheaper than external modems.

Modems from NEWEGG.COM

Highspeed access requires a ethernet card, or sometimes a USB connection, for you to be able to connect to the ISP's provided external cable/DSL highspeed modem.

So if you are going with highspeed, you are set to go.
If your choice is dial-up, you will need to purchase and install a modem.

Good-luck.

:flowers:
JC

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:56 AM

Dear Sam,

If you bought a new computer it should have come with a phone modem card.

Also, if your computer has a LAN connector you can connect to the Internet via DSL or Cable; an Ethernet card is good for connecting other computers.

A LAN connector is a little bigger than a phone plug. Most mother boards have a LAN connection.

I use my LAN connections for my multiple computers through a Linksys modem/router.

Let us know if that is the route you wish to take,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users