Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Backing Up Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

I also have a question regarding backups (hope it's ok--didn't think it warrented a new thread):
How can I run a weekly backup program which deletes the previous backup and replaces it with the most current?
For example, I want to backup my documents. Now, I do not want the latest versions/changes to be backed up in individual ZIP files on my drive organized by date, type, etc. I want the latest versions to overwrite the original versions in the first backup. Also, I want any new documents to be added to the original ZIP file and not a new one. It is annoying to have five ZIP folders that merely have two or three new files in them, then having to manually add them to the original ZIP folder.
As I am an audiophile (self-proclaimed, of course ;) ), I add gigs of music every week. I'd like all the new music to be backed up in the same ZIP folder as the rest of my music, not in newly created ones. Is this at all possible? I suppose I could simply rewrite the entire ZIP folder once again, but that will be at least 80 gigs written/week when it makes more sense to just add the two or three new files. And sometimes I'm adding new music from an artist I already have, thus leaving me the only option to open the original ZIP, find the artist, open that folder, then add a particular album. It's painstaking and a problem for which I have yet to find a solution in a backup program.
Any help? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Is there really no program?

0 user(s) are reading this topic