Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Access Denied" when trying to upgrade sound card driver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

I have an older Gateway system (510G). P4 2.6 Ghz. I am running Win XP Home SP3. I have 2.5 gb RAM. I have a Creative SB Audigy card on it. When I try to listen to iTunes, I get this horrible screeching noise. I can listen to Pandora without a problem, and YouTube videos sound and music work fine. I tried to uninstall iTunes and reinstall. Honestly, I had this same problem with the sound card a while back and fixed it. I had to roll back the computer to a back up, due to a virus, and the image I had did not have the updated driver. I don't remember having the same trouble the first time.

I downloaded the updated driver file from Gateway. I unpacked it to the C:\cabs file. I went to the device manager and right clicked the sound card and update driver. I told it to install from a specific location, and pointed it to the folder. It goes through the install process, then ends by saying "Cannot install. Access Denied"

Any help would really be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Start the unit in Safe Mode as Administrator
Go to the Control Panel & in User Acco0unts make sure the account you use is assigned to be the administrator.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

I checked, and yup, my account has admin rights. Any other thoughts?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

I guess that I wonder why you put the driver download where you did...I usually just put them in C: until I install them, then save the download along with the other programs I keep in a backup folder.

I don't have a C:\Cabs folder. Did you check the permissions on that folder?

If you have XP Home installed, you can do the following to have easy access to all permissions on the system. The Security Tab is what will give XP Home users easy control over file/folder permissions.

How To View The Security Tab In Windows Xp Pro - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43502/how-to-view-the-security-tab-in-windows-xp-pro/

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Louis

#5 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

thanks, hamluis! that seemed to do the trick. I downloaded and installed the program and then I set my entire C drive to "Allow" for all users. My only question now is "do I have a security problem? do I need to change the settings back, and if so, how do I do that!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

If anyone else uses your system...the All Users setting will allow them to do anything on the C: partition...that you as Admin or Owner can do.

If you are like me (no one else has access or use of my two systems), that's not a problem. But if others have access to your system...and you don't want them to have that access...I think I would set all permissions on C: for Administrators and Creator/Owner.

Note: When changing permissions allowed, just remove the appropriate privileges by removing the check marks from the Allow column. Never use the Deny column.

Louis

#7 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

Ok, Thanks. I do have kids and a wife that use the computer, but I don't have separate profiles for each of them, so we are all using the Administrator/Owner profile, and always have been. So, if I understand this properly, anyone who uses the computer (as configured right now) can alter anything whether I "Allow" all or I uncheck allow for certain users, right?

No one ever made any significant changes before, so I think I'm safe (knock on wood...) leaving the settings, as is.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Since all users are using the one profile...it doesn't matter.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users