Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't log onto computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hapless

hapless

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

referred here from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1183805

in that thread i tried to use the windows xp cd to fix the problem but all that happens is

"whenever i turn on the computer it says:
please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft windows xp professional
Microsoft windows xp professional

and when i click the first one it says:

windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
could not read from selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.
please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your harware reference manuals for additional information.

when i click the second option it goes on like it did before and when i click my user's icon it loads then saves settings settings and logs off automatically without even showing my desktop icons"

these are the directions that i followed to try to fix this problem

"It may be your computer is stuck in a loop after using msconfig.
Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER (if none was set, leave it blank and press ENTER).
At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.
At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:
When you receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All)
Press Y then ENTER.
When, you receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. Type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. The name is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
When you receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
Type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
Take the CD out of the drive.
Type exit then press [b]ENTER.
Note: The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer."

thanks for your help i need this so i can post a HJT log in the malware forums
edit:o and i forgot to say that the last time i used my computer and it was working correctly a bunch of registry changes were spammed at me
they were .dll files and i wasnt sure what to do with them so i denied them (using spybot)

Edited by hapless, 23 March 2009 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

You need to change the boot option in the BIOS...to boot from an XP install CD.

From there, you may be able to try a few things to correct the boot situation.

Did you do that?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#3 hapless

hapless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Well i dont understand what your talking about in the first part but i have tried and failed at booting in safe mode

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Booting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting#BIOS_boot_devices

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users