Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Backing Up

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 aland08

aland08

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

I have never backed up my system using a backup utility. I have always backed up important personal files manually onto a disc or other device. I want to do a thorough backup now as I may have a serious infection of which is posted in the HJT forum and to which am waiting for a response. I installed the Windows Backup utility from the operating cd. The problem I am having is knowing how to find the proper location in which to backup. Other than the C drive, the only drive options are removable discs and even when I choose one of these, I am told that I cannot backup there as there is not a proper path.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

You cannot use the Windows backup utility to record directly to a CD/DVD.

If you want to back and store those files on those media...you must first store the file to a partition, then burn it to disk just as you would any other set of files which you want on CD/DVD.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...mp;aq=f&oq=

You need either another hard drive or the means of creating such on your current hard drive (which means that you require sufficient space to do such).

I've not used NT Backup...but I don't think it will allow a user to create and store a backup on the same partition which is being backed up. Many backup utilities won't.

IMO, the smart solution is to add a hard drive to your system, which which you can use for backups and nothing else.

Louis

#3 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Hamluis,

According to the instructions that I read, there should be an option to backup to another drive other than C, but as I noticed, there does not seem to be another drive. You mention buying another drive or creating one. How would I go about creating one assuming there is enough space? I have never heard of adding a hard drive to a system. I have never been into hardware, at all.

Alan

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

I have never heard of adding a hard drive to a system. I have never been into hardware, at all.

Let me link you to something so you may learn just how easy it could be. Only as an example: Amazon.com listing of USB External Hard Drives.

It would be as easy as purchasing one of those and plugging it in to a USB port. Voila' extra storage.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

Animal,

Wow...I really should educate myself about hardware. I get around a computer ok but I have NEVER purchased hardware. I've set up many systems but I have always had someone else buy them :thumbsup:

Anyway, I normally back up important info to a flash drive. I don't suppose that will work? Not enough space right?

Why do the directions from MS suggest backing up to a drive on my current system other than C, if no other drive exists? I don't get it.

Alan

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

I am not sure why you are wanting to do a different type of backup than you always have. If you think you have an infection I do not see why you would want to back up your entire hard drive, as you might be backing up the infection too. If it were me, I would just back up my important files to a cd or usb plug as those have enough space for a lot of files. If the reason for backing up is you might have to reformat and start over due to an infection, you won't want to restore from a full system backup as you might restore the virus.

Edited by Stang777, 23 March 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

<<Why do the directions from MS suggest backing up to a drive on my current system other than C, if no other drive exists?>>

Because it's...2009 and the era of just one hard drive is over.

The impact of the ability to download, edit, and store music & video files (which are much larger than just about any other type file) on consumers...and the fact that basic backup strategy mandates at least having a place to store such...have resulted in many users who are less than knowledgeable...having at least 1 internal drive and 1 external hard drive.

As I said before...

I've not used NT Backup...but I don't think it will allow a user to create and store a backup on the same partition which is being backed up. Many backup utilities won't.

This is because many utilities find it difficult to copy an entire partition...to itself. Sort of a conflict there between using the partition and making a copy of the files as they are being used. Generally speaking, a partition must be inactive while it's structures/files are being copied by backup software.

Louis

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

One often over looked reason for backing up on an entirely different drive, is because one of the reasons to backup is drive failure. If you back up to a partition and that drive fails? Well......... :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hamluis,

The article I was reading was linked from this forum & was from '03 and my system is from '07....fyi

Sounds like it might be a good idea to pickup and external hard drive.

Animal,

Thanks...

Stang,

Prior to working with the HJT team, it is suggested to backup my files. I see your point but why then do they suggest backing up an already infected machine?

Alan

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

I don't believe that when they said to backup your files they meant the entire system. They most likely meant to back up all your personal files, documents, pictures, music, emails, etc, and those are most likely not infected. There is no need for you to back up all your windows files because if worse comes to worse, and you have to reformat and start over, which is the reason for them telling you to backup your files, all the windows files will be reinstalled when you install windows after formatting your drive. There really is no need to back up programs either because if you reformat your drive, you will have to reinstall all those programs in order for them to run.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

Backup can mean many things, if I was infected and getting ready to remove that, I would define backup as trying to move personal data off my hard drive so if I had to format and reload, that wouldn't be lost.
I don't think anyone would reccomend a full system backup today after you are infected, that's too late.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

Chewy & Stang,

Hey guys...I am not trying to do a full system backup but only that of personal files & am having trouble using the Windows backup feature. See above posts. Maybe I need to use another backup utility other than Windows or perhaps just manually backup emails & folders to my flash drive. Any suggestions?

Alan

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Manual is best
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

You're like a super hero always swooping in at the end to save the day...

lmao:

Can you believe it....I am still waiting for a response from the HJT team....must be busy or no one knows what my problem is.

Alan

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

I agree with Chewy, doing it manually is the best way to do it. Just copy and paste or use the send to option after right clicking on the file you want to copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users