Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE HELP !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SunnyTX

SunnyTX

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:46 PM

I tried to do clean install.

1)I kept waiting for the part where I have to eneter the product key but it never came. What gives ?

2)After installing XP. I don't see any icons on screen except recycle bin. Why ?

3)I tried to connect using DSL but I can't connect. why ?

4)I went to device manager and everything is OK except "other devices". Under other devices

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller(VGA Compatible)

all of the above are in yellow. Itried to "update driver" but I can't do it without connecting to net ? Can I do it using resource/driver CD that came with PC ? How ? Does it have anything to do with my inability to connect to net ?

Please help !

Edited by SunnyTX, 12 June 2005 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

The 'other devices' don't have the drivers installed. Your ethernet controller is what you need to connect to the net. Go to Device Manager, select update driver for the ethernet controller and point it to your resource/driver CD. Do the same with any other yellow marked devices.

Edited by Leurgy, 12 June 2005 - 04:28 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

My comments:
1. Don't know.
2. That's the standard XP desktop.
3. Because you haven't installed your DSL modem software, configured your network or entered your ISP and account details.
4. You need to first install motherboard drivers, then Video and Audio drivers from CDs provided with your system. Then install the Ethernet and PCI communications drivers. You should reboot between each step. Continue until you have no more "other devices".

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:40 AM

Thanks guys. This site rocks. I owe to this site. Where can I donate some money to support ?

BTW my kids like to play games on computer. Lot of their fav websites ask for Active X controls d/l. Which is how they got the trojan horse to brgin with. How do I know which ones to allow and which ones not ? Is it OK to install Macromedia Flash Player 7 ? Or should I tell them to stop playing games online ?

#5 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

One more Q. As I installed printer software, I see that printer loads up from the in the tool bar every time I boot. Is that necessary or can I remove printer from msconfig and startup ? Or is the difference minimum, so keep printer as a startup item ?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:53 AM

Flash Player (from Macromedia.com) is a safe application. From the same site you can also get the Shockwave player. Shockwave has numerous games they will like. I also use PopCap games as they are safe. Most any commercially bought game is fine also. EGames.com and EBGames.com are also ok. You can also check back here before letting the kids download something. Just ask in the Games forum.

This site has a donation button here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:54 AM

Yes, you can remove the printer from Startup. Its not necessary.

#8 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Leurgy. Man it's so nice to be able to find help here. I will definitely send my donation. Look for one from SunnyTX.

BTW right now my windows update is set to download update soon as one is available but how can I change it to d/l and install automatically when one becomes available. You think that's a good idea ?

Phew.... I feel so safe now having clean installed and downloaded AVG, SP2, Spywareblaster, Spybot, ad-aware and Microsoft anti-spyware beta. Have yet to d/l zonealarm, though.

What about Bazooka ? Someone had installed it before I did the clean install. I haven't put it back on it yet becuase I know some of the spyware removers are spywares themselves. Although I am not sure if Bazooka is one of them.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

how can I change it to d/l and install automatically when one becomes available. You think that's a good idea ?

I'm not sure how that works in XP but my own preference is to wait awhile with these updates to see if they create any problems.

I have Bazooka and its a good companion product to Ad-Aware and Spybot. Many times one program can find things others don't, or be updated sooner, etc.

Glad you are enjoying your time here at BC. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users