Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High-speed Dialup / Firewall Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sacman

sacman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

I gave my elderly parents an older custom built Windows-2000 machine to enable them to learn about basic computer use, email, and surfing the web. They are in a location that does not provide broadband/DSL connections so have to opt for high-speed dialup (they would not be willing to spend the money on a satellite system).

Hardware: the computer does not indicate under Device Manager that it has a dialup modum yet there is a telephone input in the back of the unit so must assume it does have a modem. I must also assume that it does not have a hardware firewall of any kind because of its age. I installed a free older version of Zonealarm but now think that it may cause a lot of confusion for them when the pop-up advisors show up. Is there a better hardware or software firewall that anyone would recommend for an older machine using dialup for inexperienced users?

Connection: I am considering a highspeed dialup package offered by a company called BasicISP.com. Does anyone have any experiences with high-speed dialup that they would share? Are there any drawbacks to the highspeed version. It sounds too good to be true (high-speed dial-up is 7x faster than regular dialup).

Thanks for any information you may provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hi Sam,

I would suggest uninstall Zonealarm so as to avoid future popups . I personally use sunbelt personal firewall, which is one of the best and suggested by friend farbar in here.

Here is the link for it. Link Download full version it goes back to trial after 30days.

Coming to your connection issue. I dont have much knowledge about it. Lets see some input from others. :thumbsup:

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Sounds to me like you don't have the right device drivers for the modem... Also I would suggest using Avast, or AVG...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users