Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at ultra DMA mode 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi all;

I'm working on building an OK system out of several that were basically scrap. When finished I will give it to a couple here in town that would like to have a home computer but will never come up with the money to buy one. I do that quite a bit. (2 in the past three months)

My problem is probably the old motherboard I'm using. It came out of an HP Pavilion 7915. I have a Maxtor 6Y060L0 installed as the system drive. Bios sees it and the OS (Win XP Pro 32 bit) and it shows up in Device Manager. But when I go to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers, advanced settings tab, use DMA if available is active but the mode is only 2. I read somewhere yesterday (I think) that board will support up to mode 4. HD tach says it's working at 32.3 Mb/s That Diamond Max9 ought to be running twice that.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Chuck.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

Might help, DMA reverts to PIO Windows Problem Solver - http://winhlp.com/node/10

http://annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1237350756

Some hard drive diagnostics also include the ability to set the maximum DMA mode of a drive made by that manufacturer.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#3 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hello Louis;

I'm learning some things, at least, but your suggestion was not the trick I need. The drive does not revert to PIO mode just won't go higher than UDMA mode 2. I tried the VB Script but no change. And I don't have another known good ATA 100 drive to compare.

Thanks anyway, Chuck.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

DMA 4 or 5 is only available with an ultracable, the ones with 80 conductors
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

Right, I should have mentioned I've tried 3 or 4 different cables some used some new all with the blue connector that goes to the system board etc.

Chuck

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_810

might be the chipset then
Chewy

#7 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Yeah Chewy, that's what I think. I'm just hoping somebody can think of something else because the MoBo is so old that if there was any support it's gone now. Nothing new. That's the way it goes when using old gear.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chuck

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

The drive only has a 2 meg cache so burst is not a big factor and even 33MB/s is about it's best sustained transfer anyway
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users