Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen when booting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly64

Jolly64

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi All, first post so be gentle :thumbsup: when i boot my PC it gets to the "windows didnt shut down properly last time" screen and asks me for my input what ever i press start normally / safe mode etc. it starts to load vista with the progress bar the screen goes black the pointer appears and that is it i can move the mouse round the screen but all it seems to do is light the occaisional pixel. I have tried different Graphics cards and changed the power supply but nothing

HHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP

it is a 250 gb seagate Sata hard drive, an ASUS PSND2-SLI with 1 Gb RAM, a NVIDIA 8600 GT Graphics card and a Pentium D 2.80 Ghtz processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Try a different monitor & see if it does the same thing.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi

when i boot my PC it gets to the "windows didnt shut down properly last time" screen

From what you say, there is an output to the monitor because you see the "windows didnt shut down properly last time" screen until you press a key. What happens if you do nothing, does the monitor continue to display the message? Do you see the POST screen ok before you see the message?

Next time you start up the PC, hit F8 and choose Start up in VGA mode from the menu. If that works ok then it could be that the screen resolution on your PC has been set to something your monitor can't display (basic VGA resolution is 640x480).

Try these things first and if they fail, try fairjoeblue's suggestion.

Edited by SLIX, 23 March 2009 - 02:15 PM.

Steve

#4 Jolly64

Jolly64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

tried that gents and the different monitor made no difference nor did trying to boot in vga mode is there way of booting up to the hard drive to scan it and repair it ?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

If you have a Vista disk read here,

http://www.vistaclues.com/how-to-manually-...ows-wont-start/
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Jolly64

Jolly64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

now i have On the boot up screen "warning the system is now in safe mode please resetting CPU or Memory Frequency in CMOS setup what the F*** does that mean lol

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

Hi

It sounds like there may be some corruption in the CMOS on your motherboard. Try resetting it.
To do this you need to locate the CMOS reset jumpers on the motherboard and involves moving the jumper from one set of pins to another. E.G. disconnect jumper from pins 1-2 and connect to 2-3. Wait about 30 secs and replace jumper back on original pins. To find out the exact pin configuration for your motherboard you will need to look at the manual for it. Note that you should only do this with your system powered down.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users