Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse and Keyboard Freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saroshj

saroshj

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi notebook. My original problem was that the keyboard and mouse was getting stuck every time XP reached the welcome screen. However both of them worked fine in safe mode and safemode with networking. This happened every time I started windows and so was not able to use my notebook.
I tried restoring windows and device drivers but the problem still persists(I used the restore CD's that I created, the first time I used the laptop).

Now, since I've started the windows reinstallation, I cannot even complete the installation(post installation setup) cause again the mouse and Keyboard freeze every time windows starts setting up my computer name, preferences, etc.

I tried using the restore CD the second time, and this time it just used CD # 1 from the restore set and on self rebooting gives me an error '<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install a copy of the above file'. I now get this message every time and am stuck there...

I don't have a Windows XP CD and only have the Restore CDs that I created the first time I used my notebook.

Please help!!!!!!
Sarosh

Configuration: Windows XP
Internet Explorer 7.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:31 AM

Hi saroshi,

For some repairs, you can use a borrowed CD as long as it matches what you have on your system. For instance, if you have XP home, you need to borrow XP home. If the installation is XP-SP2 pro, then you need to borrow that CD. See if you can borrow one and try the repair with that.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users