Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word and Excel won't open files directly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clothahump

Clothahump

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

Office 2003 on XP.

If I double-click a .doc or .xls file, I get a brief "Preparing to Install" window that goes away in a second or so. The app then opens to an empty screen. If I then click File/Open, I can drill down to my file and open it that way.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

This is a long shot, but you may have to associate the files with the program they were meant for. On eway to do this is to open my computer, not any office program. Find the file (files) you want, right click and choose "Open With" and pick the correct program in the list.

In the future your files should open with the right program without any additional efftort.

Let me know if this works.

#3 Clothahump

Clothahump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

They're associated. The problem is that I can double-click on a .doc file, for example, and Word will start. I get a real fast little box that says "Preparing to install", then Word opens but there's no file. If I then do File/Open, or go back and double-click the filename in Windows Explorer a second time, it opens with no problem.

#4 jgalty

jgalty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Are there multiple user accounts on this computer if so does other users have this issue? Also do you have an option to re-install office. First remove it completely then re-install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users