Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Virus cause blue screen/MOVED

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gellswor

gellswor

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

I was trying to install a security suite to eliminate the anti-virus 360. The owner had tried to download the fake security suite and probably installed a virus instead.

While attempting to install CA suite, the laptop started to blue screen. It does it immediately on start-up of Windows with a c000021a stop code. I tried going to SAFE mode, I tried to restore to last known good configuration, and I tried getting to the command prompt. It does not matter what I select from this screen, it goes to blue screen.

I am thinking the virus caused this problem, does that seem realistic?

Is there any way to restore this computer without destroying the data on the hard drive?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron laptop running XP Pro. I believe it is about 2 years old. I can't access the system to get more information on the CPU or RAM installed.

Edited by garmanma, 23 March 2009 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

maybe a repair install?
do you have a windows xp cd

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

:trumpet:

I have asked someone to move this to "Am I Infected" there you will get Professional Help with the Virus/Malware.

Please be patient and wait for them?

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 gellswor

gellswor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

Ok, I will look for it over there Abacus 7 - I am looking at this as two different problems - 1)Get my computer back so it will boot (hence the post in XP), and 2) Get rid of the virus.

Thanks Starcraftmaster - I will try that, I have the new installation disks that came with the laptop.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Starcraftmaster - I will try that, I have the new installation disks that came with the laptop.

Those are probably recovery CDs and not a Windows CD
You will wipe all of your data
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 gellswor

gellswor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

The disk that came with it is a re-installation CD for XP Home SP2. According to the label "The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers."

Will this CD only reinstall the operating system or wipe the hard drive in the process?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Yes, it should
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users