Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Plug-2-Surf Modem Device Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sdas57

sdas57

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hello somebody,

Earlier few occasions I have got good help from here and was able to resolve my probs and also learn. This time my probl is different. I have a USB (with CDMA SIM card) modem and an installation disk. I am supposed to install the dialer and then plug in the usb modem and it is supposed to get installed. It happened first time and I have been using it for few months now.

But one day recently I found after initialising the dialer that though it was detecting the modem when I was clicking "Connect to net" it was giving an error message "address table not found" -- a very irrelevant message it seemed to me because all it did when it was working was dialling a preset number and logging on to the Service Provider (since I am in India it is TATA INDICOM) and that is it.. thereafter I could surf normally. nothing else I needed to do after that clicking of "connect to net". This dialer also had send sms and settings etc.

Anyway. So I uninstalled the dialer program and tried to reinstall. The CD has only one setup.exe file under a 32-bit folder (I guess it does not use 64-bit for me as I tried to do it manually and it said mine is not 64 bit but 32 bit gets installed). So I am supposed to NOT plug in the USB modem before I install the dialer. I installed accordingly the dialer (at this time the drivers etc are supposed to be extracted and saved in system32 folder- i know because I checked the whole process of installation in another PC where this is working) and then plugged in the modem. The OS recognised the device that it was a USB device and also the manufacturer and also the type of modem (Qualcomm CDMA Technologies -- then- SIT_1xusbmodem device: ALL THESE messages appeared.) But then it said device cannot be installed .. error occured.

Yet this works in the other PC.

So I went to registry and deleted all instances of "SUNGIL", references to 3 system files of name sit_?.sys where ?= <name> and also references to SIT_1 modem name as found in the SETUPAPI.LOG file..

I am giving the print of SETUPAPI.LOG of one when it was installed properly first time and the most recent one...

SETUPAPI.LOG - when device was installed properly
-------------------------------------------------------------

[2008/10/11 15:25:31 1364.3 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\vid_1b7d&pid_070a&rev_0000,usb\vid_1b7d&pid_070a
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\class_02&subclass_02&prot_01,usb\class_02&subclass_02,usb\class_02
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#I022 Found "USB\Vid_1B7D&Pid_070A" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem23.inf; Device: "SIT_1x_usbmodem Device"; Driver: "SIT_1x_usbmodem Device"; Provider: "SUNGIL"; Mfg: "SUNGIL"; Section name: "SUNGIL.Install".
#I023 Actual install section: [SUNGIL.Install.NT]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective driver date: 04/17/2007.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [SUNGIL.Install] in "c:\windows\inf\oem23.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
#I124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_1B7D&PID_070A\5&29574BA5&0&1".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [SUNGIL.Install.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem23.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_1B7D&PID_070A\5&29574BA5&0&1".
#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_1B7D&PID_070A\5&29574BA5&0&1" finished successfully.

SETUPAPI.log - today's when I could not install the device
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[2009/03/23 15:39:30 948.3 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\vid_1b7d&pid_070a&rev_0000,usb\vid_1b7d&pid_070a
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\class_02&subclass_02&prot_01,usb\class_02&subclass_02,usb\class_02
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#I022 Found "USB\Vid_1B7D&Pid_070A" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem23.inf; Device: "SIT_1x_usbmodem Device"; Driver: "SIT_1x_usbmodem Device"; Provider: "SUNGIL"; Mfg: "SUNGIL"; Section name: "SUNGIL.Install".
#I023 Actual install section: [SUNGIL.Install.NT]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective driver date: 04/17/2007.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [SUNGIL.Install] in "c:\windows\inf\oem23.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
#I124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_1B7D&PID_070A\5&14787816&0&2".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [SUNGIL.Install.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem23.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_1B7D&PID_070A\5&14787816&0&2".
#-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [SUNGIL.Install.NT.Services].
#E279 Add Service: Failed to create service "sit_bus". Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#E033 Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#E275 Error while installing services. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#E122 Device install failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#E157 Default installer failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Now it means the file SIT_BUS.SYS is not traced. But how can that be? When I am seeing it copied to system32 directory?

The device manager shows this device now as a Yellow Question Mark under "USB CONTROLLERS" with name of "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM" name and shows no driver files associated. Otherwise in the PC where it is working it is appearing correctly in the Device Manager under "Modems" as SIT_1xusbmodem#2 and there are 3 driver files associated - modem.sys, sit_mdm.sys and sit_flt.sys

The setup.exe file extracts and installs the following files under the Program folder as follows:-

\Epivalley\ tata indicom dialer folder --> drvinstall.exe; drvuninstall.exe; dialer.exe

\Epivalley\ tata indicom dialer\drivers\win2k\32 bit folder --> sit_bus.cat; sit_bus.sys; sit_bus.inf; sit_flt.sys; sit_mdm.cat; sit_mdm.sys; sit_mdm.inf;
sit_prt.cat; sit_prt.inf; sit_prt.sys

These files will be okay as the same CD was used to install properly in the 2nd PC.. and I ALWAYS uninstall and also search for remnants bfr doing the troubleshooting.

What to do now? please Help. Problem seems to be in my OS.. Something somewhere has gone wrong.

My PC details and one addl info
Windows XP SP3, Toshiba Laptop Satellite A 100 512 RAM

The other PC where this is workig has SP2 but I do not remember when I updated to SP3.. specifically whether it was before I installed this modem first time or later. But I do not think this problem is with SP3 because it was in any way working with SP3 till only last week.. and then something happenned.

I have spybot S&D, Superantispyware, winpatrol, lavasoft free aware, Norton antivirus 2006 now licence expired, McAfee VirusScan enterprise 8.5.0i also.

One thing I noticed today when I was doing MSCONFIG changes.. it said I do not have the authorisation to mak changes THOUGH I am adminstrator and though it did show the changes when I restarted. Strange!!

Hoping someone will help.

Cheers!!

Sdas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Just off the top of my head. Try to install it again with your AV, firewall disabled. If you use Spybot's Teatimer function disable that also
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hi quarmanma

Sorry 4 the delay.. B) but I did what you said. I disabled all such protections. And it worked.. :huh:

Of course I do not know.. sometimes windows does have a habit of cleaning itself- the technicality of what I am saying you will know better.

Still thanks for the prompt reply :thumbsup: :huh: and helping me solve it. What u meant is that probably some program was protecting the regisrt elements . from getting overwritten [even though, of course, no such message was appearing of any attempt to change]

Wld have surely liked to analyse this with you further.. but when the patient is better no point in cuttting him up open to see what had gone wrong. i guess

bbye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users