Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web host

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Azeez

Azeez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

I want to ask if anybody knows a webhost called ixwebhosting. I want to know if they are reliable so that I can host my website with them. Otherwise you can advise me on the webhost to use.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

I dont know if this is too old for you to recognize, but I have never used that host, but have used several others, these are in no way extensive reviews, but these are the ones I have used, and my experiences:

iPower (client's old host): dont use!!!! terrible host, upgraded databases and corrupted site

hostgator (one of clients current host): so far so good, nice support, seems to be good services, decent price

1and1 (my current host): this is a host that is not really top of the line, i love them personally, but thats because i very rarely need the support department which is nearly non existant, i would switch my sites to hostgator but its a pain in the arse,

from my experiences i would try hostgator, unless you are looking for VPS or Dedicated than my above statements are useless as I dont need them for my clients
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#3 RJM1

RJM1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have read a number of bad reviews for them over the years mostly stating overselling and not the best support. I normally go with what my clients what but if I can persuade them I push them towards Server Intellect for windows hosting and servers. They have an awesome support staff. I tend to try and keep clients away from any hosting service that is 4 dollars a month. In my experience the cheaper the host the worse the support and service.

#4 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

And we've all learned from personal experience that when it comes to web hosts, uptime and support are the two most important things.

I've read really good things about hostgator. Do some research on them and see what they have to offer.

I currently have two hosts that I work with: Yahoo and A T & T. A T & T price is horrible (I didn't purchase it), but their support is pretty decent. I was surprised. Yahoo price is great, server space, traffic, and supported apps are tremendous. But their customer support is non-existent, unless you want to call waiting on hold for 45 minutes "support." Thankfully I haven't had to call them but once or twice. Their online documentation is good, but since I work with a school-related site, my district filter blocks me from their online support page (so my only choice is the phone -- a nightmare!).

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

txtchr - Personally I would have to disagree with you... Security, and support are the most important things... Personally I would choose a host that has only 50% uptime, but 200% more secure...

#6 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

txtchr - Personally I would have to disagree with you... Security, and support are the most important things... Personally I would choose a host that has only 50% uptime, but 200% more secure...

while i agree security is very important, your analogy scares me, uptime below 99% is unacceptable, no matter how secure
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Personally I would choose a host that has only 50% uptime

If your favorite restaurant was only open 50% of the time you were hungry, would it still be your favorite? What about 60% of the time? 50% up time for webhosting == out of business.

#8 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Yes, I guess I forgot security. Duh. I thought that was a given.

You'd be surprised when I did do research for my classroom site how many of them had uptimes of lower than 90%. That floored me. So, I guess that weighed on my mind a lot, since our school district server is down all the time and creates a huge problem in many areas because people can't access their email, sports schedules, or anything related to any school activity.

But yes, you are right. Nothing like getting hacked into to realize security's a very vital issue.

Edited by txtchr, 30 March 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

Ok I didn't mean I would actually choose a server that had only 50% uptime, but if I were to actually have a host... I would take security over up time any day... Though yes up time is important... Plus, if you were gonna spend say 50 bucks on a meal, would you spend it at a place that is open all the time, but bleepty food, or a place that isn't open as much, but much much better food?? Think about that... Or in other words... If you had to take a business client out to dinner, and it being a professional setting, are you going to go to a 24 hour McDonalds, or are you going to go to a night time only, 4 star restaurant?

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

Your analogy makes no sense. There are tons of restaurants that are open limited hours. The point of that is I know when they are open. There is no way possible for your customers to know which 50% your website is going to be up or down. And if you can't trust your provider to keep things up and running, how can you possibly trust them to keep it secure? And if they can't keep it up and going, they are not worth your business anyway. My server has been down less than 12 hours in three years. I am a total amateur running a server, and I can still claim a 99.95% uptime rate. Never been hacked either.

Here is an interesting article that is sort of relevant:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ForewordtoPPM.html

You stay with a web provider because they never give you a reason to go anywhere else, even if they are not a 5 star outfit. :thumbsup:

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

Groov, yes ok I should have used my analogy in a better way.... Yes your being up only 50% of the time is not a good thing, it was simply a sarcastic figure of speech...
As for your server, congrats... But as for being never hacked... I highly highly doubt that... Just because you don't know you have been hacked doesn't mean you haven't been... No website, or server, is unhackable... But what is important, is how well your information, and what not is protected... Getting into a computer is easier then bleep, getting information, or changing information, is also easy, but shouldn't be lol... I run my own server from my own house... I know I get script kiddies and bleep trying to get into my server (would help if my little brother wasn't always getting virus's and backdoors opened on the network), the biggest hack I have received since I started hosting myself, is the network clock service, I have had a couple people exploit that, and after I took down IpTables, I had an intruder on a low privileged account, but nothing sacrificial... Plus it would take more then just a hacker, to actually do any damage to my site, or information...
So to say you have never been hacked... I am sorry, but I couldn't possibly believe that for one second...

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

I am sorry, but I couldn't possibly believe that for one second...

Ok; not that I know of, but knowing how my server is set up, and nearly religious scanning of logs, and a really good relationship with my IP, I have never had a single reason to suspect otherwise.

#13 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

That is good then... I don't check my logs as I should, but I do keep a good tab on them... With how my server is set up, it would take some serious heavy cracking to actually cause any damage, or loss of information. I know what has happened due to my logs, though I have been thinking about taking a few different approaches when I re-format and re-install everything... This way even those little exploits won't be exploited...
So did you go to school for it? or have you just learned with trial and error? or both?

#14 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

so to get this topic back on track, i have never heard of that web hosting company.

There are your usual ones out there like GoDaddy and companies like AT&T and Yahoo.

There is a new one comming out soon that i know of at www.redhost.com.au their support and pricing is very very fair! (I have used there services in the past).

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#15 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Though GoDaddy is good, I don't exactly like the way they have everything set up, my client uses GoDaddy, it wasn't easy trying to get everything working; structures that would normally work, won't work with them, variables don't seem to pass through functions, in order to find an error, you have to turn on their error reporting, which is only good for 24 hours, and then you have to wait for an hour to get the errors your looking for.... You have to maintain multiple log ins and passwords... But outside tedious bs, they are pretty good...
AT&T though I have never done anything with them, nor Yahoo... Well I did at one time have a free site through them, at that time I thought they could have used more work...
As for ixwebhosting, I might go and do some research with them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users