Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get Pocket PC to connect to wifi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

Hi Everyone,

My Pocket PC model is h1940 , and I have this (http://www.amazon.com/SPECTEC-Wireless-Networking-Connection-Notebooks/dp/B000BD9PBQ/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205129463&sr=1-26)
wireless wifi card for it.

Until recently, it was working great with my school internet (eg. I could connect to it great, go online, etc).
However I believe they changed / did something to their network. Now, while iTouches and laptops connect to it no problem, I am having problems connecting to it. It can "see" the network, but the PPC always goes "Connecting...Available", refusing to connect.
I'm thinking that maybe the school switched to a different security method (It was using WPA-PSK before I think) , but I can't get my PPC to connect, even after trying all the available network settings on the built-in network manager.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Maybe a different connection software for PPC, etc?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:27 AM

Hi

I'm thinking that maybe the school switched to a different security method

If something has changed, your PC may still be trying to connect to the network using the old network settings. Have you tried deleting the network connection, then setting it up again?
Steve

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

I think I"ve tried that, but I"ll try again tomorrow at school.

Because, I've also tried tweaking the settings for the network (eg. change security methods, etc) which don't help...?

If I delete the old network settings, how would I get the school network to "show" back up? One limitation of PPC seems to be that I have to wait for the PPC to pickup the signal before I can save it...

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi

A wireless network has a SSID (Service Set Identifier) which is the way you identify the network that you want to connect to.
It is possible to switch off the SSID to make the wireless network invisible but it is unlikely that your school network has done this.
Ask someone what the SSID and the PSK (Pre Shared Key) is. Select "View Available Networks" and select the school's SSID. Your PPC should then detect that there is encyption and will ask for the key. If the information you have been given is correct you should connect to the network ok.
Steve

#5 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

But, I should delete the current settings for the school network first? Then, let the PPC find the school network again? The network won't be hidden from my PPC just because I removed the settings though, right?

The ID you mentioned shouldn't be hidden, because my friend's devices connect to the network OK.

Thanks!

#6 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hi

But, I should delete the current settings for the school network first?

Yes

Then, let the PPC find the school network again?

Yes

The network won't be hidden from my PPC just because I removed the settings though, right?

Yes
:thumbsup:
Steve

#7 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I did not get a chance to try it last week, I will try to get a chance to try it this week and will get back to you ;)

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:29 AM

Hi,

I tried removing the settings, and although the network name itself didn't disappear, when I tried to click on it to connect it prompted me for the settings, which I entered, but it still did the same thing as before :S

Thanks for your continued help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users