Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foxfire... how to erase address bar.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jessejane

jessejane

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

So I was wondering how to erase the address bar history (drop down history menu) on the Mozilla??

I have scrolled down to highlight the unwanted address and then did the shift/delete, ctrl/delete... etc... sure it deleted for the moment, but when I opened a new window they all re-appeared! grrrr :thumbsup:

Did the tools/options/clear now(all history... etc)... again, nothing! It is all back... all my history is gone and my personal info such as passwords... but drop down addresses are still there and the little star is now all highlighted yellow!

So does any one have any good ideas??

Thanks... jj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Go to Tools>Options> Privacy Tab

Remove the checkmark from "Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar" hit OK

Now it won't keep track of what you enter in the search bar

clear your Private Data as Well (Tools>Clear Private Data> check mark all the data you want cleared >(saved Form and search history)
click the Clear Private Data Now button.

Hope that helps

:thumbsup:

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#3 jessejane

jessejane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

hey CatByte...

Thanks for the reply and I have done step one... works but is not really the problem. Do not mind keeping any thing that we use now.

Performing the second step
"clear your Private Data as Well (Tools>Clear Private Data> check mark all the data you want cleared >(saved Form and search history)
click the Clear Private Data Now button.
".... This does not perform the duty I am searching for...

It will not erase or delete the existing web pages that are in my Firefox address bar. My IE is all gone.. not a problem... just cannot get Firefox to PERMANENTLY delete these addresses!!

There is only one little bugger that does not belong in that address bar... when folks click on it.. well it takes you to a website that a young one does not need to read!! No pictures, but it sure doesn't leave anything to the imagination.

I think you get me jest now... I need a delete function that will remove it now and forever! Any other ideas??

... jj ...

#4 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

The websites in your Firefox address bar are your bookmarks if you do not have any web browsing history. You can make it so that it never displays any results at all:

In your address bar, type "about:config" (without quotes). At the "Filter" bar on the top of the page, type in "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults". You will now have the "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" entry; double-click it to change the value (how many results appear in the address bar). Enter zero if you don't want any.

However, if the websites are not in your bookmarks, you may press shift-delete to delete a result.

I hope this helps! Edit: I also found these for you:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Hiding...rt+Location+Bar
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Smart+Location+Bar

Edited by Gstick, 25 March 2009 - 05:54 AM.

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#5 jessejane

jessejane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

hey Gstick...

Thanks so much for that info.... exactly what I was lookin for!!

The shift/delete thing only took it out for that window... once I close the window and open new one... it reappears. That particular web page is not in my bookmarks... so I am not sure why it does not work.

But I am happy with the first fix... tho that is not a total erase and just a 'do not show' adjustment... it gets that off the address bar!!

Thanks again...

... jj ...

#6 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

There is also an extension for Firefox called "Hide Unvisited": It does just what you want! It hides bookmarks that have not been visited since the last history delete.
You can reset the "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" entry by right-clicking it and selecting "reset".

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7429

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#7 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

The websites in your Firefox address bar are your bookmarks if you do not have any web browsing history. You can make it so that it never displays any results at all:

In your address bar, type "about:config" (without quotes). At the "Filter" bar on the top of the page, type in "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults". You will now have the "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" entry; double-click it to change the value (how many results appear in the address bar). Enter zero if you don't want any.

However, if the websites are not in your bookmarks, you may press shift-delete to delete a result.

I hope this helps! Edit: I also found these for you:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Hiding...rt+Location+Bar
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Smart+Location+Bar

I've been trying to fix this too, thank you!! :thumbsup:
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users