Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi,

I have no clue when it comes to programming, other than batch files and simple .vbs scripts.

(REVISED VERSION BELOW) I have been asked to create a program that displays a welcome screen with a logo, then allows the user to select which driver (.exe's) they want to install and then finds the specified driver, installs it, then displays a finished screen.

Also the drivers will update every so often so the CD will need to be updated. I could do it on a flash stick, but the boss wants it to be on a CD.

Any idea's? I think i have seen something like this done with 7-zip before.

Coding it from scratch would be kinda cool to though...

Looking forward to hearing from you's.

- KamakaZ

EDIT: i just re-read that, it sounds really difficult. All i'm after is a page that has a logo on it, a bit of text and a few buttons that link to certain .exe's and that's it.

Edited by KamakaZ, 23 March 2009 - 07:10 AM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

You can do that easily in Visual Basic. Drop a logo picture. Drop few buttons, in the button events ShellExecute the exe file.

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

i'm using visual basic 2008 express edition, i've tried ShellExecute and it didn't work. clicked on build and it said it had errors.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

Just use Shell

#5 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Just a note; make sure that you are using a CD-RW not a CD-R so that you can rewrite it to update it. ;)

It's not really easy for us to help you if you just say that you have errors. Copy and paste them here so we know what errors you are getting otherwise we are out there in the dark and can't really be fully helpful.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

they were build errors because i was using the wrong command, i was using shellexecute instead of shell.

And thanks, i had already though to use CD-RW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users