Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Disconnects

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

When I turn on the Internet (I have a modem), it works fine until I turn other programs on then the Internet basically turns off, but the computer says I'm still connected to the Internet. Why is this doing this and why is the Internet turning off?

If I'm downloading something off the Internet say a game demo or a game update the Internet would just turn off like I said before and then I would have to disconnect and then reconnect and try redownloading and sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

I found a pattern or it's just coincidence, but when the downloading box isn't the main thing selected for a while the Internet turns off. Someone please help and don't tell me to ask my ISP he's the other word for donkey.
You will not like me if I'm angry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

Have you run any spyware, and antivirus scans?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

I did a spyware scan, adware scan, but not a virus scan. I did a virus scan on friday.

I'll do that right now.

Edited by Fremder, 12 June 2005 - 01:40 PM.

#4 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:59 PM

I scanned my computer with Norton Anti-Virus it found 3 at risk files, but Norton couldn't get rid of the files. But I don't think those 3 at risk files are causing this, I think 2 were adware and 1 was spyware.

I'll try to get rid of them later.

Edited by Fremder, 12 June 2005 - 03:59 PM.

#5 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Actually the Internet is being disconnected when I have a second browser opened as well also with the downloading. Someone please tell me how to fix this, maybe this will help, I live in Wisconsin and we have been having bad weather as in tornados and severe storms, maybe this is happening because of the storms, we're suppose to have bad weather all week.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

Have you cleaned your internet cookies/files/history lately?

IE / Tools / Internet Options
Click Delete Cookies / OK
Click Delete Files / put a check in "Delete All Offline Content" / OK
Click Clear History / Yes
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

Nope, didn't work. This started happening around the time when the tornado was in central Wisconsin on Friday.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Are you using a dial-up, or high speed internet connection?

Also, if you can, run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Edited by tg1911, 13 June 2005 - 06:08 PM.

#9 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

dial-up, I said in my first post I had a modem.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

Dial-up isn't the only one that uses a modem:
modem

A couple of things I found, that could cause your problem:

# An insecure physical connection. By this, I mean simply that your telephone jack could be loose either in your wall or in your computer.
# Line noise. In rural areas, line noise can be caused by high winds, electrical storms, and trees brushing against telephone lines. Noise means that along with the data being sent along the telephone lines, static can sometimes creep in and confuse either your computer or the server on the other end.
# You have an idle timer set in your software. Sometimes, if you do not transfer data for a while (DO anything) while you're connected, the computer may detect that no one is on the system and disconnect.

Windows 95 and Windows 98 have their own "idle timeout" that will bump you offline if you don't do anything for 20 minutes. In some versions of Windows, there is a bug in it -- it checks for keyboard and mouse activity, instead of modem activity. That causes Windows to kick you offline even when you're downloading a large file. To fix this, go to Control Panels, then pick Internet. Under the "Connection" tab, search for the "Disconnect if idle" option and turn it off.

Some 56K modems have problems holding connections reliably -- in particular the Rockwell HCF modems, and some LT Win Modems, have many problems.

Unless someone else has anymore suggestions, I suggest posting a HJT log for examination, just to make sure.

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

This way, we can eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware, being the cause of your
problem.

#11 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

I tried using the panda scan, but the Internet basically disconnected when I the pop-up was up. I'll post a HJT log asap.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:55 PM

Good luck, Fremder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users