Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated old computer to WinXP SP2/SP3 and now wireless won't stay connected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Piyu

Piyu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

I have a computer that for one reason or another was using XP w/ SP1 for the longest time. Recently I upgraded it to SP2 and SP3 in order to install some newer software. Everything seems to be fine except for one thing; the wireless network connection is now FUBAR.

When the computer first starts up, the wireless connection goes up without a hitch. It'll stay connected for maybe about 5-6 minutes and then I'll lose the connection.

If I try repairing the connection I typically get a message saying:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Connecting to the wireless network

Sometimes it will say "Renewing your IP address" instead of "Connecting to the wireless network" depending on where in the repair process it hangs up.

Interestingly enough, sometimes I will get one of those messages and despite having been told that the repair failed and despite the fact the Wireless Network Icon in the systray says Not Connected, I'll be able to go online again for a few more minutes before the connection once again dies.

For the brief time I can stay connected there doesn't appear to be any noticeable lag. I powered up the World of Warcraft online game (since it's probably the most bandwidth intensive thing that ever happens on this computer) and it seems to run lag free until the point of when the network connection dies. I have the latest drivers for the wireless network adaptor (an old Linksys Wireless B ), so drivers shouldn't be an issue.

Prior to the SP2/SP3 update the wireless connection had the occasional hiccup, but all in all was working reasonably well considering that the computer is located on a different floor of the house from the router. I'm pretty sure this problem was caused by something that got changed with the updates, but I don't know what or how to fix it. I'm just at a loss for why the connection would go from Very Good to Not Connected so quickly.

I'm not sure if this relevent to the problem, but I've noticed that Windows Firewall defaults to OFF with every boot-up of this system. For the life of me I can't remember whether it was on or off prior to the SP2/SP3 upgrade (I use ZoneAlarm for the most part), but it always starts off OFF now. If I turn Windows Firewall from the OFF to the ON setting then it will temporarily reconnect me to my network for a few minutes before I'm once again disconnected. It's only good for as a one-time thing though (until next reboot).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

I would suggest that you do a anti-virus scan, and a spyware scan... I recommend AVG or Avast for anti-virus, and Adware for spyware... Sounds to me that you might also have some service issues going on... I would check your services and make sure everything is in good order, I would also check the configuration of the wireless adapter, when you bring up the status box for the network click properties and on the device, click configure...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users