Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What needs to be running in the background?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

What needs to be running in the background and how do I stop things that I don't need running in the background? In XP I always went to "run" and "misconfig" and unchecked what didn't need to be running but I have no idea in Vista what needs to be checked or not or how I get to where I need to be to change it.

Linda
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

It's the same in Vista (msconfig), but be sure you know what you are doing before you delete anything.

Edited by o_rly, 22 March 2009 - 07:11 PM.

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I don't know what I'm doing. lol I don't know what some of the abbreviations stand for so how do I find out what I need and what I don't need? I realize this would be different for everyone.

#4 mister_apocalypse

mister_apocalypse

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

Best thing to do on a new PC, especially a package one like compaq or dell, hp etc is to just go through Programs & Features and uninstall the items which are not needed. This also saves disk space, and is a more thorough way of removing the bloatware which is pre-installed on new PCs.

I would advise against using MSCONFIG to remove items in Vista, it works the same way as it does in XP, but if you dont want the program, just uninstall it. Less chance of pwning your installation.

That said, if you are comfortable using it and know what the items do, then by all means use Msconfig. Works well when used properly.

#5 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between "add reply" and "quick reply"? lol

Okay, my problem is that I don't know what programs I need in some cases. I wanted to get rid of Quick Time but someone told me (not here) that I need it for videos and such. Most things I watch on WMP so I'm not quite sure why I need Quick Time. What might be some other things I don't need? I do know how to use misconfig but as I stated above, I don't know what all the abbreviations mean so I would be hesitant to uncheck something in case it has to run in the background (i.e. Avast).

Every morning my Kodak Easy Share program opens and I have to quit and then when I got to the taskbar to shut it down, it brings up a box to register. I already have an account and I keep being prompted that something's not working or something so I have to put up with that opening every morning. I'm guessing that is one of the things running in the background that I can uncheck. Help. lol

Linda

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

Add reply gives more choices for formatting your reply. Fast reply is so that you can quickly type and respond to things.

There have been recent problems with Vista computers using MSCONFIG to modify start entries. I'd suggest either using the Startup Manager in Windows Defender, or using this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'd suggest either using the Startup Manager in Windows Defender, or using this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

Thank you. How would I get to this (Windows Defender)? I think this is new in Vista.

Linda

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Go to the Start menu, then scroll down the list of programs to locate Windows Defender.
Click on it.
Once in Windows Defender, click on Tools, then on the Software Explorer link.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

Thank you. I will try that but I still don't know what needs to be running in the background. If I post a screen shot, will someone be able to tell me what I can uncheck?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

What to uncheck is determined by what you need. For example, I have no need for the Kodak EasyShare software (and personally don't like it). So my recommendation would be to get rid of it - but you may want to keep it because you're used to it.

That being said, you can disable things without deleting them. So, should you want them back you can just re-enable them.

Posting a list will get you some recommendations - so go ahead if that'll help you.

#11 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

I thought we were talking about things running in the background? I use my Kodak Easy Share all the time. It came with my digital camera. That being said, it doesn't have to be running in the background does it? I will take a screen shot and post it in a few minutes.

#12 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Okay, here are my screen shots of my startup menu. I had to do one half at a time.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

The bottom 2 entries in the second screen shot are for the Kodak Software that starts when you computer does (and runs in the background until you use it).

I would disable the Adobe Acrobat, Cyberlink, SupportSoft, QuickTime, Incredimail at a minimum

FWIW, I'd suggest using the free program that I mentioned above to get a more complete listing of what starts with Windows.

#14 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

Okay, I've got Windows Defender opened to the right place. So now I just highlight and "remove" or "disable" so that the above-mentioned don't run in the background? Also, if Kodak isn't running in the background that doesn't mean I can't use it, right? Right now it's driving me nuts because it opens every time I turn the computer on.

Linda

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

Background programs run in the background to provide faster access to the program when you need it. You can still use it, but it may take a bit longer to load.

Once you finish using the program (and closing it) you'll need to check and see if it remains in the background by checking for Kodak stuff in Task Manager. To do this, press Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to the Processes tab - scroll down the list looking for any Kodak stuff.

Most, but NOT ALL programs behave this way. If there's one that won't start for you, let us know what program it is and we'll see if we can figure out how to set it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users