Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

workgroup error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wayne_uk

wayne_uk

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi guys,
I keep getting this error description in my event viewer

The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.***.*.***. The machine with the IP address 192.***.*.*** did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

can someone please explain what is going on and what i can do about it.
please explain in easy speak because i have googled the problem and i really can't understand the replies
thanks for your time
wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

What problems are you experiencing?

All workgroup computers participate in a master browser election to see who will be the master browser for the workgroup. When one computer wins, it registers the [WORKGROUP:1d] name for itself so that other workgroup computers can easily look up the master browser. If a computer is refusing to relinquish the master browser role, even though it has lost the election, it can cause this error.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc959896.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hi Budapest,
thanks for replying, sorry for the lateness to your reply, the problem i am getting is unexplained crashes, i am trying to find out why,
my event viewer is full of these reports and i'm trying to find out what is the meaning of the reports in case this is causing the crashes
these are the reports i get,

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer KAREN-2B940CF26 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{A74A19F0-96D. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The browser will continue to attempt to promote itself to the master browser, but will no longer log any events in the event log in Event Viewer.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is KAREN-2B940CF26.

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{A74A19F0-96D9-432B-9335-D885867825F9}. The backup browser is stopping.

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\KAREN-2B940CF26 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{A74A19F0-96D9-432B-9335-D885867825F9}. The data is the error code

they maybe the problem i don't know, if they are not then it is onward to the next possible cause,
thanks for your time mate
wayne

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

How is your network set up (ie. how many computers, what type etc)?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

one cable modem, linksys router and 3 computers hardwired into the router, my computer is a new quad core on a gigabyte board, the computer (karen) is a AMD athlon 2000 running on a kt33-8235 motherboard, the third computer is an apple mac in the sons room but no problem with that one,
just the problem with mine and karens,

just a little update- I had a couple of crashes just with the repot as follows

Application popup: SysFader: iexplore.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c912f05" referenced memory at "0x716138e4". The memory could not be "read" (this one three times)

Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c912f05" referenced memory at "0x716138e4". The memory could not be "read".

Edited by wayne_uk, 27 March 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

There are some troubleshooting ideas here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135404

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

I have just updated my graphics driver in case that is causing the problems, i will report back in a couple of days after giving it a good run.
thanks for the reply Budapest
wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users