Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ihatezipfiles

Ihatezipfiles

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

I recently bought a new graphics card and installed it yesterday. I deleted all my old drivers and downloaded my new ones. All yesterday it worked fine, I would occasionally have some graphic distortion, which i was planning on looking into today. Unfortantly today when i got on and try to log onto a game there was a problem. I kept getting fatal errors whenever I tried to log on. I tried restarting but the no effect. After that i tried to get into my Ventrillo Server, but found there was no sound. So now i am very confused and I am looking for any help I can get.

My graphics card is a ATI Raedon HD 4830.
My Operating System is Windows XP

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Intel Corporation D975XBX

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 343 MHz
Effective Clock 343 MHz
Bandwidth 2743 MB/s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ihatezipfiles

Ihatezipfiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

Oh yeah, my power supply is 700 watt with 2 6 pin PCI connectors.

I have my sound back by changing default devices, but i still have problems with games.

Edited by Ihatezipfiles, 23 March 2009 - 12:20 AM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

"I deleted all my old drivers and downloaded my new ones. "

Can you expand on that ?
How did you delete the drivers ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

Hi

You shouldn't need to delete the old drivers.
All you needed to do was to run the disk that came with your graphics card.
Have you checked to see what is showing in Device Manager? To access this click on Start>Settings>Control Panel>System> Select the Hardware Tab then select Device Manager. Look to see if there are any exclaimation marks next to any of the devices. If there are then I suggest you follow this link to download the latest drivers for your motherboard. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21 :thumbsup:
Steve

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Actually,

If you change video cards the old one should be uninstalled through the device manager [at the least].
The driver folder[s] deleted & the registry entries deleted BEFORE the new video card & drivers are installed.
This is especially true if you are going from Nvidia to ATI or ATI to Nvidia.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Actually,

If you change video cards the old one should be uninstalled through the device manager [at the least].
The driver folder[s] deleted & the registry entries deleted BEFORE the new video card & drivers are installed.
This is especially true if you are going from Nvidia to ATI or ATI to Nvidia.

Very true, we all have to learn the hard way, I would suggest add/remove programs before delving into the registry
or even a driver cleaner program

:thumbsup:

:flowers:

Edited by DaChew, 23 March 2009 - 09:38 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Ihatezipfiles

Ihatezipfiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

When i deleted my old drivers I went into add/remove and used the ATI removal thing, which may actually be the problem because i may have removed the chipset as well. =/ I will see.

When i get to my computer ill check my device manager as well and get back to you on that.

I also never used the CD that came with the graphics card. I was told by a co-worker that i should skip it and just download the latest from the website.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

My experience with older ATI cards...was that it was smarter to use the CD drivers than the newest ones every month.

One size does not necessarily...make all cards work properly.

Louis

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

I use only ATI video cards.
When I install the software I do a custom install & use nothing but the drivers.
Unless you intend to overclock, or otherwise "tweak" , the video card the "Catalyst Control Center" isn't neccessary.
I also don't need the additional "free" junk ATI tends to include.

If you are using a LCD monitor find out what the "native" resolution is & set the video for it.

#10 Ihatezipfiles

Ihatezipfiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

So i changed my graphics card back to my original one and got the drivers and the crashing has stopped, So i dont really know what this means. Does it mean the graphics card i got isnt compatiable with my motherboard or something else in my computer?

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

You said you downloaded the drivers for the Raedon HD 4830.
You also say you have Windows XP.
Are you positive you downloaded the correct drivers for the version of XP you have ?

I looked up your motherboard & see it has 2 PCI-E slots.
You did have the video card in the primary slot ?

#12 Ihatezipfiles

Ihatezipfiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

The driver i got was Raedon HD 4800 series, from the ATI website. I couldnt find one specifically for the 4830. The graphics card was in the primary slot.

Edit: I dont know if this helps at all but when i installed my old graphics card, it let me play my game again but its still messed up. Im going to put a picture of the game in.

Posted Image
OK the problem here is walls are missing in the game. So im missing large portions of the graphics the game is supposed to have. I recently reinstalled this game in hopes it was corrupted data in the game that was the source of my problems.

Posted Image

This happened while leaving a portion of the game where are alot of data would be coming through, since it is near the main hub of the game.

I dont know if any of this will help, but I am getting more and more confused and angry and frustrated. *Sigh*

I would like to thank you all for you support so far and the help you have been trying to give me. Everytime i see a post i get alittle hope that I can fix this.

I just hope it isnt my motherboard, like one of my friends suggested.

I am planning on Thursday night, Reformating my comp, completing cleaning it and then try to install my new graphics card and see if there are any changes.

If you guys think of any information that might help you figure this out, please ask ill do my best to get it to you.

Edited by Ihatezipfiles, 25 March 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#13 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hi

Have you been on the game company's website and looked for support and FAQs for your game?
Sometimes there are known issues and patches you can download to cure them.
Try that, It's worth a look.

Edited by SLIX, 25 March 2009 - 03:47 AM.

Steve

#14 Clarck

Clarck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

Hi,
Thanks for this useful information. I'm a new one in this forum. I must appreciate the tools provided by you. Please keep updating me in this regard.

CSK

search engine optimization

#15 Ihatezipfiles

Ihatezipfiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Those where from my old graphics card i put in yesterday. Today i cleaned my comp out, the fans i could at least, there was one fan i couldnt get all the dust off, but I did my best. Anyways, i then updated my OS and my .netframework. I then put my new graphics card in, and updated the drivers to the most recent ones. I was able to get in all my games but there were some problems. I did this on two games, the first one is World of Warcraft (WoW) and the second game was Left 4 Dead (L4D). In WoW i had graphic distortion as well as the game freezing and the screen going black, staying that way for 5-10 secs then going back to normal. I also got a few fatal errors that crashed it. I looked up the fatal error number on their website and tried all the things they suggested and it didnt fix anything.

In L4D my graphics were also distorted, this one didnt freeze but i did the the black screen again for 10-15 secs, a little longer than on WoW.

One thing I did find out was that the problem may be my RAM. It gave me a link that i could use to test if my RAM was messed up but I couldnt get the Image to go on a CD.

This is once again just more information in hopes it will make you guys think of something you may not have thought about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users