Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

March Updates in Window Vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

I was told from a previous computer help group I belonged to for years to always wait a week to ten days before I install Window updates. Well, I've got a brand new laptop that I just started using two days ago and there are updates and I don't know if I should install them or not. Any word on the most recent updates? Any problems? I always create a System Restore point before installing updates, but I haven't tried that yet in Vista so I don't know if it's as easy as it was in XP. There are ten important ones and three recommended. Should I take a screen shot and post them?

Linda
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

:huh: I've never heard that before. Yes, of course update.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Really? For about the first two years I had a computer, I had it set to automatically download and install updates and to the best of my knowledge, never had any problems. Then I was told to wait and there used to be lists and lists of the "bugs" in some of the new updates, on the group I belonged to, so I always waited until Microsoft offered a patch to fix the old update. lol I remember one, specifically, that caused such a big problem that you couldn't even get into IE. I was really glad I had waited on that one because a friend of mine didn't and had no clue what was going on until she checked her mail on her husband's computer. He had worked for hours on hers trying to figure out what was wrong. So here no one recommends waiting? Should I only install the "important" ones?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

I always wait a week or two. Longer than that for Service Packs
There have not been any issue with recent updates
You will be pestered constantly for Windows Defender updates
No balloons, just an icon in the System tray
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

That and Dell Remote Access. What is that and what is the defender thing? Can I get rid of those icons in my system tray that I keep calling my taskbar? I hope creating a System Restore Point is the same in Vista as it is in XP because I'm about to try it so I can install these "important" updates. Since I just got this computer, I don't know how "new" or "old" these updates are.

Linda

#6 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

I am on vista and with most updates I get it automatically gives a restore point before it installs the update.On a new computer I would expect to have quite a lot of updates.Only one update has ever given me trouble in the 9 months I have been on vista.I just restored to a earlier date and problem solved.

#7 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

I didn't know that Vista automatically created a restore point with updates. Thank you for that information. I did create a restore point last night and although it's not the same as XP, it was very easy to do. I keep forgetting, though, to download and install my updates. lol

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

I always get the updates, but there's very little on my systems that isn't "factory standard", and I have very few programs installed. Haven't had a problem yet.

At work we automatically update the customer's computers and haven't had an issue there since the RealTek redirection error with XP.

Most other updates that are thought to be associated with problems are actually solved by updating the software that causes the problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Well, I clicked on "fast reply" and nothing happened. lol Well, I installed the important updates and so far, so good.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Linda

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

If you click on Fast Reply and don't see anything, scroll down a bit. There should be an open Fast Reply box at the bottom of the page.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

You're right. lol Thank you.