Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what software do i need for burning DVD's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wagner12

wagner12

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:24 AM

i recently purchased the Sony DRX710ULT external dvd burner for my dell dimension 8200 and i have no experience with burning dvd's so i was wondering what kind of software i will need to burn dvd's. Also i purchased some phillips DVD-R discs hopefully they will work in a normal DVD player...Are these good discs for that?
Lastly my computer has been running kind of slow lately and i want to get some more memory for my computer but i'm not sure what kind to get or if i can even add more memory..I have a dell dimension desktop 8200 (not sure if it s 400 or 533 mhz fs bus) is there any way i can figure this out.

also is it possible to burn ps2 discs....just wondering???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanx,
judd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

Hi, and welcome.

There are a number of programs that will work with DVD's - Nero is commonly bundled with the burners, and is usually highly recommended. Your Phillips disks should work fine.

I've never looked into burning PS2 disks.

If I were going to replace memory, the first thing I'd do is check the memory chips on the computer. Many of the chips have a large sticker that tells the size and speed of the memory. If they don't, you can usually get a magnifying glass and find a number on one of the small chips that can be searched on Google.

Seems as if a lot of Dells usually use PC2100, but I haven't seen all of them. :thumbsup:

However, here's a site that guarantees their memory is compatible with your computer.

4allmemory site

The site says PC800, so it must be an older Dell.

Remember to use Electrostatic Discharge precautions when handling memory or anything inside your computer. Turn it off, pull the plug, and either use a wrist strap or ground yourself to the case or large metal object to remove static electricity from your body before handling the memory. Don't be walking across the livingroom carpet with memory in your hand. Keep it in the wrapper until you use it.

Make sure you line the memory up with the notch in the right direction and that it's completely seated and the clips are closed.

Here's a site that advises on copying Sony disks:

PSXtune

If you want to make archive copies of your own DVD's, you'll need to decrypt and shrink them. DVD Decrypter has been removed from the internet, but you may still be able to find a download site somewhere. There is also DVD43 which decrypts on the fly. DVD shrink is still available. There are legal issues about whether you can make copies even for your own use, just so you know.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:54 PM

DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0 - better get it quick, don't know how much longer it's going to be available

DVD Shrink
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

XP pro is a good free burner availabe at www.xppro.se/. It has a good user interface, and sets up the dvd nicely for burning to include the remaining available space. You can get at least 5 standard movie discs on one dvd. There are untold problems with making your own discs, and you will also need a converter for the pesky formats. divx to dvd is a good one, and I think it is available from most freeware sites. Bear in mind copyright laws, and keep anything you do for your own use (don't share it on the net) until the legal issues are finally worked out.Also, you need to consider the space issue. If you store movies on your computer, plan for at least 2 GB per disc. Any movies on the net will probably be avi format, and will only play on your computer without conversion to mpeg or pal format. With the free stuff, it takes about 2 hours at max cpu, and is not cost effective. I leave the formats as they are.

Edited by gunner, 12 June 2005 - 01:12 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users