Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forced shutdown

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I hate my computer

I hate my computer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I have an

Inspiron 1420 Dell computer
Windows Vista
32-bit operating system
2 gb RAM
Intel core 2 duo CPU @ 1.80 GHz

I am on the Dell reccomended power plan, which indicates equality between the use of battery and performance.

So here's my problem. I will leave my computer (plugged in or not doesn't seem to matter) alone for about 15-20 minutes. When I come back, the screen is black, and when I move the mouse, one of two things happens.

1. It stays black and I am forced to shutdown by holding down the power button
2. It goes back to whatever I was working on but then freezes- I can move the mouse around bu can't click on anything and am again forced to shutdown.

Anyone have any experience with this or know what to do? I've had some blue screens before as well.. I don't know if that is related or not.
I have absolutely no clue when it comes to computers... so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Oh I wanted to add that I have tried ctrl alt delete, and that does not have any effect

Edited by I hate my computer, 22 March 2009 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Try new video drivers. I prefer the one's from the manufacturer of the video chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc) over the one's from Dell.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 I hate my computer

I hate my computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

how would I get a new video driver? online or at a store?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

They're free online.
Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the window that opens, click on the + sign next to Display Adapter.
Let us know what it says there and we'll be able to direct you where to download a new copy of the most updated driver.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 KPGeezer

KPGeezer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

I hate to butt in but it sounds like the poster's computer is going into sleep mode and not waking properly. If I recall correctly that's a Vista glitch and the sleep mode feature should be shut off to cure the problem.
No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity. RL

#6 mister_apocalypse

mister_apocalypse

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

Also check dust in the cooling system, this can cause issues like the black screen if it is getting too hot.
A low pressure air compresser or a can of compressed air should do the trick.
If it works, its an easy solution.

#7 I hate my computer

I hate my computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Okay I didn't know what "start" you meant, like the start menu and then type devmgmt.ms into the search bar, but that didn't work.

I did try disabling the sleep feature, and instead it now goes to my screensaver. So far I have only left it alone once, but it didn't crash. Here's hoping it keeps working. I'll test it again today and see what happens.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

Feel free to butt in with suggestions. The more people that contribute, the more likely that we'll get the answer without fussing around for days and days!

And, it looks like it may have been the sleep issue - good call! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users