Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Start Up Choices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bolterdog

bolterdog

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

I screwed up! I was trying to foramt my G drive by using the XP Install disc and, long story short, ended up reinstalling XP on the C drive. Now when I reboot I get the black screen with 3 choices: Windows XP Home Edition, then Recovery Console, then Windows XP Home Edition again. If I chose the second XP Home it starts up in the version I have been using. How can I make it start in that one without having to use the black screen to choose? Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

Louis

Edit: I should have asked if you reflect two Windows folders on your C: partition.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#3 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Louis. I was able to use msconfig to make the change but it only got rid of the Recovery Console Line. There are still 2 Windows XP Home lines that I have to choose from before the boot process completes. I ran the msconfig again and under the BOOT.INI window in the system config utility the lines are:

boot loader
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
operatingsystems
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition /fastdetect/Noexecute=Optin

When I use the Check all boot path button it responds:
"It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are ok."

The first "multi..." line is highlighted and the "Check all boot paths" and "Move down" buttons are lit.
When I highlight the 2nd "multi..." line the "Check all boot paths", "Set as Default" and "Move Up" buttons are lit.

Any ideas on what to try next?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Well...do you have two Windows folders?

If the boot.ini lines are valid according to the link I gave...the only conclusion I can draw is that you have two installs of XP.

Unless I'm misreading...those boot.ini entries reflect two different installs of XP on two different partitions on two different hard drives.

Disk 0 should contain the C: partition if you only have PATA/IDE drives, while I have no idea what Disk 1 is, which appears to contain the second install.

The default to boot into...appears to be the second install.

It helps if we know how many hard drives are attached...and what partitions exist on those drives.

Louis

#5 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

There are 2 hard drives. C: & G:. C: is where I boot to normally and G: is the original hard drive that I replaced with the larger one that is now C:. I left all the programs installed on the G: drive so I could use it as a backup. They are both IDE drives.

Looks like there is a partition on the C: drive called E:. It has a Windows folder on it now that I don't remember before. Sorry I'm not more help, my knowledge here is low. Thanks

Will deleting the Windows folder remedy the issue?

Edited by bolterdog, 22 March 2009 - 11:30 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

You have the original hard drive, with XP installed and programs installed...which is G:.

You have the newer hard drive with the newer install of XP. I believe that Windows automatically makes the newer install the default on the boot.ini...that's been my experience.

Windows correctly tells you that there are 2 different versions of XP that you could boot into.

I have an analogous situation in that I (as an experiment) cloned a copy of my boot drive on my other system...to another partition on the same hard drive. When I boot, the system correctly identifies both drives as being XP installs that I can boot into...but the difference is that my original install is the default.

If you want to make your C: the default so that the system will boot into it automatically and you don't have to choose it, then you just have to modify your boot.ini file slightly.

Change the line from: default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

to: default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

I would try that...I don't think you have to make it Windows.1, but you may have to add that to the line for default in the boot.ini file.

Louis

#7 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.

"You have the original hard drive, with XP installed and programs installed...which is G:.

You have the newer hard drive with the newer install of XP. I believe that Windows automatically makes the newer install the default on the boot.ini...that's been my experience.

Windows correctly tells you that there are 2 different versions of XP that you could boot into."

All of this I understand and is correct. Except that the newer install of XP is on the E: partition of my C: drive. I might not have made that clear in my previous post. Looking at the properties of the new files in E:, that is where the new XP is. I don't think G: has anything to do with the issue.
When I go into the BOOT.INI in System Config. I am not able to change any of the lines of text. The only thing I can do is move the last 2 lines up or down. I moved the WINDOWS.1 line up and set is as the default and now when I reboot, when it goes to the black screen, WINDOWS.1 is now on top and is the one that gets booted to after the standard 30 second time out, so I am better off in that regard.

"If you want to make your C: the default so that the system will boot into it automatically and you don't have to choose it, then you just have to modify your boot.ini file slightly.

Change the line from: default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

to: default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS"

I think this will work if I can get it to change. Is there another way besides msconfig System Config to get to it to make changes? I think if I make the change as you describe using WINDOWS.1 all will be back to normal as far as the boot is concerened. I still need to uninstall the new XP in E:, but that can be dealt with later. Thanks again.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

You don't have to use MSCONFIG at all...my intent was to edit the boot.ini file directly from Explorer view.

The boot.ini file can be edited directly, How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;289022

Louis

#9 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

All is back as far as the boot goes! Thanks for your help!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

You are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users