Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RPC server unavailable in WMI control properties

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ecu

ecu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I am cleaning up from a virus and one of the issues that I have is that System Information(msinfo32) gives the message "Can't collect information". I have printer software that will not work for scanning, although, he printer will print.

From WMI console(wmimgmt.msc) I can check properties of "WMI Control (Local)" and see:

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes

Win32_Processor: Win32: The RPC server is unavailable
Win32_WMISeting: Successful
Security Information: Successful
Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: The RPC server is unavailable

If I run Net Diagnostics from the tools menu in System Information and perform a scan, I get the following messages:
WMI errors
Unable to connect to WMI namespace 'netdiagnostics'
Unable to connect to WMI namespace 'win32_computersystem'
Plus more error about the namespaces.

The RPC service is in automatic and Started.

Thanks for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service then delete everything in this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem\Repository

Reboot (this forces Windows to rebuild the folder).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Just in case ecu runs into the same problem I did when I did that, I thought I would pipe in here.

When I did this I was unable to delete the repository file in normal mode or safe mode. My account is an administrator account and I had turned off the services, but it still would not let me delete the file. I had to boot into safe mode and log in using the admin account that windows created upon install to do this.

#4 ecu

ecu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:16 AM

Still the same issue after reboot. I followed the instruction and had no problem deleting the Repository files and Windows did rebuild the files.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Do the following services start correctly?
  • Event Log
  • Windows Management Instrumentation
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ecu

ecu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

They all start ok.
I did change the Logon account on RPC from "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService " to "Local System Account" a few days ago and after that there is no option in standard mode to change it back.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

I think you can change it back by editing the registry. Change this key:

HKLM\System\CCS\Services\RpcSs:ObjectName

From LocalSystem to "NT Authority\NetworkService".

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 ecu

ecu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

I successfully changed the RPC log on back to "NT Authority\NetworkService" but System Information still give the same error.
The complete text in the System Summary is:
Can't Collect Information
A network error occurred in connecting to Windows Management Instrumentation. Ensure that your network connection is functioning properly.

I just do not know which network connection it is talking about. I found that my Linkssys Easy link advisor will not run now that the setting is "NT Authority..." . Now the process is starting but not the program. BEfore I change the registry setting, The program would start but say that the "Easy link service" is not running and gave an option to start the service but it failed to start.

Hope this information helps.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

Is the DCOM Server Process Launcher service started?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 ecu

ecu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

It was not started. It was in manual, so I changed it to automatic and started the DCOM service. System Information and the Linksys program started working after that.

Thank-you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users