Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating BIOS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gao

Gao

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:18 AM

I hope I'm posting appropriately. I'll try to be brief. :thumbsup:

I've been having problems with my monitor lately. Squiggly lines appear around the lower half of the monitor and garble the image. Messing with the degauss and refresh rate seem to have no effect. The effect seems to be random, and from what I have read I assume it's just dying, but there is something troubling me. I ran the troubleshooter (which I don't think I've ever really done) and got to the point where it said I should update my BIOS. When I first had this computer assembled in 2k2, I had a problem which ended up being the BIOS and the folks that put it together updated it and its been that long since its been done. I've since installed a new video card and updated windows a fair amount in that time.

:flowers: I'm trying not to be too verbose, but I want any helpers that may come my way to have as much info about my situation as possible...

Anyway, whether or not this is the problem with my monitor may not be important. If the monitor is just dying out I probably still need to update don't I? I've read a bit about it and I've downloaded what I assume is the most recent update for my BIOS and the (again, assuming) appropriate "flash" thingy. However, I'm more than a little apprehensive about attempting this on my own without some input.

The folks here helped me out immensely a while back with a browser hijack and the first forum I though of to come to with this prob was bleeping computer. I'd be most appreciative if you guys could give me a hand again, and again, I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I suppose I should mention what I'm working with...

I've got an ASUS P4T533-C with a 2.53
I ran a prog called "CTBIOS" which said (I think, it seems to be a German prog) I had a BIOS v1007. The update I have is v1010.
I downloaded AFlash221 as well, but i haven't messed with it at all.

Am I even taking this in the right direction? Hell, do I even need to be doing it? :trumpet:
Many thanks in advance for any and all help.
:inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:45 AM

My thoughts:
1. The BIOS has been there since 2002, the squiggly lines appeared recently. ergo the BIOS has nothing to do with the squiggly lines.

2. The windows troubleshooters are as useful as tits on a bull.

3. If you are not experienced with BIOS upgrades be warned you can get into real trouble if anything goes wrong - possibly to the extent your PC never works again.

4. The majority of people NEVER upgrade their BIOS and their computers still seem to work OK.

Have a look at the download site where you get v1010 and see what the update is supposed to fix. Unless it says "fixes squiggly line problem" (and I'll bet good money it doesn't) it's not going to help you.

Let us know what kind of monitor and what kind of display card you have, because i think you have a hardware problem.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Gao

Gao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:45 PM

thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

1)That's kinda what I figured. I was just worried that since I changed my graphics card (AIW 9800 now) that maybe that I didn't install it correctly or the BIOS was choking on it somehow and producing the garbled display as a result. 'Twas a totally uneducated guess; that's obvious to you I'm sure.

2)lol. I kinda figured that as well. However, I have a friend that would argue that tits are useful no matter what the hell they are on. :flowers:

3)yeah, lol, thats why I'm here.

4)I've heard that, but now that you say it I'll take it more seriously.

Like I mentioned above I'm working with an All-in-Wonder 9800 series.
As for the monitor, it's a MGC 19" flat panel CRT. It doesn't have long does it doctor? Is there hope, or shall I make the arrangements?:trumpet:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

Just checked out some reviews of your video card - impressive. ::thumbsup:: I read it requires a minimum 300W PSU in your system and you must attach a power cord to the card when you install it. What is your PSU rating and did you do that?

Ok, a little confused by this:

MGC 19" flat panel CRT

Do you mean flat screen CRT or flat panel LCD?
19" LCD have not been out for long here in OZ and you mention Degaus earlier so I assume its a CRT. If the squiggly lines are only in one part of the display its probably not the monitor. You could verify this by borrowing another (known to be working) monitor from somewhere and trying that. If you get the same effect the problem lies with your graphics card.

Here's a recipe for reseating your graphics card:
  • Shutdown and switch off but do not remove the power cord.
  • Take off the cover.
  • Hold on to a metal part of the case now and as often as you can during the entire process.
  • Pull out the power cord.
  • Undo the screw holding the video card in place and unplug it.
  • If there is a lot of dust around use a can of compressed air to blow out the card slot.
  • If the edge connectors of the card look tarnished clean them lightly with a pencil erasor.
  • Firmly plug the card back in and secure it with the screw.
  • Put the case cover back on.
  • Check in the end of the monitor cable that there are no broken or bent pins (some pins are missing - that is normal).
  • Connect the monitor cable, turn the securing screws finger tight only, switch the monitor on and reboot.
See if that helps. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 12 June 2005 - 09:12 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Gao

Gao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:04 AM

oops. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I meant "flat screen CRT"

I'm pretty sure that the PS is 300w. It blew out at one point (before i changed cards) and I replaced it. I'm not positive, but I can't check it for sure ATM as the little lady will very likely awaken and proceed to beat me again if I attempt such a noisy maneuver.

her = :flowers:

As for checking it with another monitor that will take some effort as I do not have another at my residence; nor can I reseat the card ATM as that will also earn me a beating.

Just didn't want you to think I wasn't keeping an eye on this thread. I shall post again after I have attempted your suggestions.

thanks again!

#6 Gao

Gao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

Okay, it hadn't acted up since my last post, but started screwin' up again this evening. I reseated the card as per your instructions; this seemed to have no effect. I wrangled one of my girl's old 17" out of storage and hooked it up. As of right now (with 30 mins of use) there seems to be no problem.
Unless it starts doin' the squiggly again in the next couple 'o days, I can assume that it is that my monitor is finally goin' extinct, right? :thumbsup:

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

I'd leave the system on all day to be sure but if the replacement monitor has no problems that's pretty conclusive.

Time to shop for a new monitor.

#8 Gao

Gao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:23 PM

Okay, its been a couple days and there are still no probs with the other monitor. The jury is out; I'm gonna have to get a new monitor. Thanks for all your help Rimmer. Without you and bleeping computer I'd probably have flashed my BIOS into oblivion. Gao out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users