Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP printer continusally cycles paper.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimbobmel

jimbobmel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

My HP C4180 all-in-one printer on start up cycles a page half way then stops. Error message says the print carriage cradle cannot move. Carriage jam, open door, clear carriage jam and then press OK to continue. I do this and it cycles another half a page into the machine and the error message appears again. I have tried to move the paper back from the stopper but it still starts the half page cycle.

I have tried the help section but to no avail. There is nothing in the menu that pertains to this type of jam that I can find. I have not received a reply to their on line help section.

Edited by garmanma, 22 March 2009 - 01:46 PM.
Moved to appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

There may be a job stuck in the printers memory. Try resetting the printer using these steps
Step three: Reset the All-in-One Follow these steps to reset the product.
  • Make sure that the product is on, and then disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, wait 30 seconds, and then plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • On the control panel, press and hold both the OK (Posted Image ) button and the Help (Posted Image ) button while you reconnect the power cord to the back of the product. The message, 'Semi-full Reset' , displays on the control panel display.
  • Wait until the product initialization process completes so that the product can recover its original settings.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jimbobmel

jimbobmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply and sorry that I had the wrong place.
Did what you said and it sent me off on quite a chase. Had to instal active x twice, told me to download a device update, did that and it seemed to be fixed. I could turn the printer on and it did not load the page automatically.

Until I tried to print something. It went into the half page load and stop with a message that says "The print cartidge cradle cannot move. Please turn device off, chec k device for a paper jam or other obstruction". When I opened the front there was nothing to be seen and I could move the cradle back and forth. I opened the back and nothing there. Now when I start the printer it goes into the half page load. I push the OK button and the page exits the printer and then puts 3 pages through without a pause. It then goes into the half page loaded and we are where we started.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get a new machine as we are getting an "IMac" at the end of the month. Thank you for the help you have given.
jimbobmel.

#4 jimbobmel

jimbobmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:45 AM

I fixed for good. Threw it out and bought a new printer. Cheaper than going to the local geek and the advice I received did not work for reasons unknown. Thanks anywise.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:31 AM

Sorry you had to resort to drastic measures. Glad you have a working printer now :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users