Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got my new laptop---now what?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

HP g60t laptop with Vista Home Premium with SP1 (64-bit)
* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0GHz)
* 2MB L2 cache
* 800MHz front side bus
* 4GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 DIMM - shared)

On my current XP laptop, I run AVG free, ZoneAlarm free. I use CCleaner daily, MalawareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware every few days, ASquared & Ad-aware, every two weeks, Spybot I guess I've quit using because it confuses me. Windows Defender, every few days, but it never finds anything.

I'm sure there are a bunch of features I'll never use---Outlook, for one; I use Yahoo---Office, just don't see the need--for example.

I don't play video games, watch movies, or listen to music on the machine. Mostly it's forum posting, email, and surfing.

Any suggestions on what to delete, add, or configure?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nate42nd

nate42nd

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

I get rid of all the crap I will never need....unless it's expensive to replace then just store it if you have the room. Windows Mail and Live Mail is better than Outlook.

Get a good Anti-virus and a couple of anti-spyware apps. I like SpyBot and Malwarebytes.

Get Picasa....you will love it for Pictures and movies for organization and simple modifications to your pics.

Get a good browser like Firefox or Chrome (I like Chrome) and that's a good start.

Good luck! Congrats on the new machine.

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

I used to use AVG but then a newer version came out with a lot of bugs so I switched to Avast, which is also free and I am really happy with it. I don't use any registry cleaners because I've been warned against them. I use ATF cleaner, which cleans a little more than just cleaning your cache manually. I use MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and I run one or the other every night, and I've had SAS for a long time and really like it. That is all I use on both my desktop, which has Windows XP Media Center and my laptop, which is brand new and has Vista Home.
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:30 AM

I would add Secunia SPI to make sure all your security risk programmes like java adobe windows etc are updated.A.V.programmes are a personal choice but the best free ones are either Avast which I use or Avira which is another good one.For spyware I would recommend Superanti spyware or Malwarebytes.Both have good detection rates.If you want to visit the dark side of the net get Sanboxie for added protection.Thats my 5 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users