Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you upgrade a compaq laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mindyjones

mindyjones

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

The laptop i am currently using is about 5 to 6 years old. Can you upgrade it to a faster version. My computer is a Compaq if that helps any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerNoob_

ComputerNoob_

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

Laptops are not as upgradable as desktops. You can upgrade the RAM, hard drive memory.(I think that's it?)
Upgrading your ram is your best bet, but it won't do much if your computer is that old already.

#3 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

The time and effort involved in upgrading the processor or mobo in a laptop are nowhere near worth the money to do it.

Do yourself a favor and find a cheap new machine, it will have a faster bus speed, overall faster performance, and a warranty.

The old one can go to a friend or child, and if you at least do a clean install of windows and max out the ram it might not be TOO bad.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

You will not be able to update a laptop significantly. That is, unless you technical know-how and desire to pry apart the case and solder parts. The only thing you can really do to update laptops is to update the RAM and hard disk. My suggestion would be to buy a new laptop or desktop PC.

3939.png

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

I used to work with a small organization the took donated older systems and tried to clean and rehab them to pass along to Seniors and Kids in need.

Laptops were a real problem. Most had so many proprietary parts as to make it extremely difficult - not worth the time or money involved.

Our organization ceased the rehab game. We still take the donated equipment for a very small cash donation and either destroy or return the hard drives. We either auction off the carcasses or properly recycle such.

The donations and the auction monies are then used to purchase new equipment to be given away.

You'll also probably spend less buying a new system rather than trying to up grade that older unit.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users