Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffer Overun Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rav01

rav01

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Hi,

I've been guided here from another section:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1187867

Problem: Was infected by Antivirus XP 2009 spyware, and now recieved the following error when I try to start up windows:

"Buffer overun detected!

Program: /??/C:/WINDOWS/system32/winlogin.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has currupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continie and must now be terminated"

I cannot boot into safe mode either, I'm pretty much stuck. This really sucks, and I would appreciate some advice for what I can do. I am alright with formatting the harddrive, but I have data on there I need.

Thanks.

Edited by rav01, 22 March 2009 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Well probably the best fix here is a wipe and reinstall. This will cure all the ills.
Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.
==============================
2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Cheers for your post, boopme.

I understand that would be the best option, but I'm unsure on how to do some things you've mentioned. I would like to backup all my important files and nothing more, I only want files from my desktop and my documents to be honest, but how can I gain access to them when I cannot even boot into windows? I want to regain this data before I remormat.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by rav01, 22 March 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi,I misunderstood. Thought you had normal but not safe mode. The best way now is to take your drive out and connect it as a slave drive to another PC. Then only transfer those files as mentioned above. is that a possibility?

See>>> Recovering Data From a Non-bootable (dead) Computer
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

Hi,I misunderstood. Thought you had normal but not safe mode. The best way now is to take your drive out and connect it as a slave drive to another PC. Then only transfer those files as mentioned above. is that a possibility?

See>>> Recovering Data From a Non-bootable (dead) Computer

Awesome! Thanks!

So from what I understand, the procedure is as simple as:
1)Remove malware damaged HD from PC
2)Connect HD to power adaptor, then connect HD to USB of my Dad's PC
3)Copy needed files to external HD
4)Put HD back in my PC, format and reinstall XP, then copy needed files back over.

Am I right in assuming my Dad's PC isn't at risk of catching any malware from the infected HD as long as I don't open any .exes, btw? All I need are my photos, college work and other documents back. The software etc is all backed up to CDs so there are no worries there.

I think I will buy this IDE/SATA to USB connector as I'm from England and it works out cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexons-SATA-Adapto...3409&sr=8-1

If my plan sounds OK, I'm happy to go ahead with this and thanks for all the help. :thumbsup:

Edited by rav01, 23 March 2009 - 08:13 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

Yiou will need to set YOUR drive as the slave to his Master. it's a Jumper setting.
Set Up Master/Slave Drive Relationships

You're welcome and good luck!!

#7 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Yiou will need to set YOUR drive as the slave to his Master. it's a Jumper setting.
Set Up Master/Slave Drive Relationships

You're welcome and good luck!!

Link doesn't load buddy, can I get a fresh one?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Funksy

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/ar...1.asp&guid=

#9 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

OK, so I understand that the HD the PC boots off is the master, which I won't need to worry about here, and the HD I will be using to copy the data I need onto my Dad's PC will have to be set as a slave. To do this I just have to change the jumper setting to the one that in the diagram on the top of the HD? Then all I do is chuck in the connector from the SATA/IDE to USB adaptor then put the other end in the USB - job done?

Cheers for all the great info, if you can confirm to me I'm doing the right thing here I'll order the adapter now and let you know how I get on.

Rav

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Sounds good. i just will confirm... you change the jumper setting ONLY on the "copying from" (infected)drive or the Slaved drive.

#11 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

This was very easy to do! All my files are now safe and sound on my external harddrive, so thanks so much for your help!! I'm currently re-formatting my hard drive using the recovery CD, hope all goes well.

Boopme - you're a legend mate.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hey thanks :thumbsup: .. You are welcome from all of us here at BC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users