Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP/Firefox Hang/Lock up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LP_Man

LP_Man

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

This is really starting to get on my last nerves;

Whenever i'm browsing images (a gallery), periodically Firefox, while loading an image i clicked on, locks up. Windows doesn't respond. I have to do a hard shutdown. Restarted. I shut off my firewall (ZA) and but left windows' firewall on. I left my AV on. I went back to the same page and clicked on the same pic. Firefox AND Windows hung up again. Had to do a hard shut down again.

This has been going on for the last 4 weeks since i took the Firefox 3.0.7 upgrade. I even tried going back to the previous version. Same crap with the previous version. It's getting to the point that i never know what site is going to lock this computer up.

I reinstalled windows a few weeks ago and even did a system upgrade (new CPU and graphics card). I'm assuming it isn't my Nvidia doing this.

I'm at my last wits. I've been told it's my firewall. Well, it does the same thing without it on. I've tried using PC Tools firewall and it's the same. I tried using Avast AV and then AVG. It's the same.

Asking folks in Mozilla forums is like smashing your head against a wall.

I've also ran FF in Safe Mode, viewed a page, clicked 3 pics and by the 3rd pic, it froze my system up again. So, it's not my extensions.

I rebooted and viewed that same link in Internet Explorer. Clicked all 3 pics. Nothing froze up.

Last night, i uninstalled Spybot S & D... thinking it had something to do with it's immunization feature. No go. Still had a lock up this morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the way, my system has......

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

System Model
FOXCONN MCP61M05 FAB A1

Processor
2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
Board: FOXCONN M61PMV FAB A1
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD P02 07/08/2008

Memory Modules
2944 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'A1' has 2048 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

Have you tried removing Foxfire and down loading it again.

#3 LP_Man

LP_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Have you tried removing Foxfire and down loading it again.

I removed FF 100% using Revo Uninstaller. No traces were left. I reinstalled it new.

That said, i use a backup program for FF (FEBE) and i reinstalled my prefs and extensions. Maybe need to delete my prefs and let FF rebuild one?

I'm beside myself on this. It drives me crazy that this doesn't happen with IE and Opera.

I have all current plugins, btw.

#4 LP_Man

LP_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Bump

#5 LP_Man

LP_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

After bumping this topic, i had this issue at the top of this thread strike almost right away.

What happened?

I decided to browse the forum (for nothing in particular) and i was on a thread and a poster posted this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/ and my whole computer froze immediately. The page didn't get loaded all the way and everything froze. Hard shut down again.

I'm ready to chuck this whole thing out the window.

#6 LP_Man

LP_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

Here's another one that locked up my whole computer this morning.

www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ms-dotnet-firefox.html

Nobody has an answer or clue to any of this?

Edited by LP_Man, 24 March 2009 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users