Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 released

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Since this seems to have been missed, IE8 was released last Thursday:
IE8 download
Just a note, Windows 7 is not quite ready for IE8, which is not surprising considering that Windows 7 is not even a release candidate yet.

Microsoft has decided to move their parsing engine more towards a standards compliant model which once again will put them in the unenviable position of "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't". They are "dammed if you do" because some websites are not going to work properly. That is not Microsoft's fault; that is the fault of the developer who chose to not create web pages that consisted of properly formed and validated HTML. Here is a blog post that sums it up quite nicely:
IE8 Blog

One of my favorite features is Web Slices:

Using Web Slices, you can keep up with frequently updated sites directly from the new Favorites Bar. If a Web Slice is available on a page, a green Web Slices icon will appear in the upper-right hand corner of the browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

For those of you using Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize features and/or Spyware Blaster or IE-SPYADS, you may want to read the following article written by Corrine at Security Garden before installing IE8.

There is high CPU usage if you use SpyBot Search and Destroy with Immunization. The response by Eric Law, MSFT, was provided in following her report at Internet Explorer 8 Final Available Now:

@Donna: We have determined that there is a problem with the SpyBot Search and Destroy "innoculate" feature which puts 10000 domains in the restricted sites list.

*** It's possible that this might be causing the performance problems on startup that some folks are reporting here. ***

Similarly, IE8 will not load fast or it will hang if restricted sites exist in the IE Restricted Sites zone, e.g. using IE-SPYAD or Spyware Blaster.

Source: http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2009/03...-donts-and.html
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

Oh Joy! Oh rapture unforeseen!
I will stick with Firefox.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 groovicus

groovicus
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

I'm happy you're happy. That is what I live for.

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

I was about to say that was a Bioshock reference.

I guess I'll be sticking with my inferior IE6 for a while then (foolish me) :thumbsup:

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#6 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

Is this giong to be a Windows Update for Vista in the future.
I don't want IE8 so I'll have to change my update settings if it is.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

Since this seems to have been missed, IE8 was released last Thursday:

Hey groovicus -

It was somewhat mentioned Thrusday the 19th on BC, h e r e by roc1911.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Is this giong to be a Windows Update for Vista in the future.
I don't want IE8 so I'll have to change my update settings if it is.

Good question, MishY -

on another board, one user stated that she had gotten it through automatic update, so it would appear that your concern is warranted.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

No notice of a Vista Auto update thus far, I saw the release at /. but paid little attention since it was Friday and i do updates on Saturday and Sunday (more time online), but when I checked the updates last night there wasn't one.

reason for edit: bleeping touchpad is touchy

Edited by BlackSpyder, 22 March 2009 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#10 demonluo

demonluo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

:thumbsup: it screw w spywareblaster...

#11 space_man

space_man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Having installed IE8 I now find that sites using Java will no longer load. I cannot find a solution to this.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

http://www.techweb.com/article/showArticle...mp;section=News
IE8 Users Downgrade To Explorer 7

Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 appears to be losing market share, even though the browser has been on the market for less than a week.

As of 8:00 am Monday, IE8 -- released Thursday -- held 1.86% of the browser market, down from a high of 2.59% on Sunday, according to market watcher Net Applications. The most likely reason for the decline is that early adopters of IE8 are switching back to the more familiar, and --at this point -- reliable Explorer 7 browser.

Entire article in link above
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

IMHO. I never auto update anything. I like to pick and choose what I down load. I'm going to keep I.E. 7 until all the bugs are out of 8. (XP-PRO-3)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users