Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vodafone mobile connect lite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phillx

Phillx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

I've been using this mobile connection for about 9 months now and it has been fine.

I've used these forums many times usually because of Vundo, which seems to be endemic here in Spain. Saying that I have always been able to get rid of it.

Over the last two weeks my connection seems to disconnect when it likes. At first I thought it might be vodafone but now I've noticed that especially in the morning my connection seems to be sending more bytes out that in. It can reach my upload limit of 300 kbps. As the speed of upload gets back towards zero the connection drops. I've checked that I'm not uploading statistics to Vodafone.

How do I find out, what this upload is and where is it going?

Neither Windows Firewall or Comodo Firewall detect anything.
PC Tools AV detects nothing.
Malware bytes detects nothing.

Modem is Huawei E220 usb modem with the latest firmware and software. I tried Vodafone Mobile Connect full version but it was no better, in fact worse as it kept dropping my 3G connection and would not go onto 2G.

I'm not sure what is going on so any suggestions as to where to look greatly appreciated.

Phill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Check the applications tab in Task Manger and see what's running when this happens. If that doesn't show anything, try Process Explorer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Edited by garmanma, 22 March 2009 - 07:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Phillx

Phillx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

Hi Mark,

Had to send this again, my modem keeps disconnecting.

I've tried Process Explorer and there is nothing untoward running.

Thanks again, and i'll try and take it up with Vodafone Espana.

Cheers

Phill

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

A good mobile phone resource is
http://www.howardforums.com/
They have a Vodafone forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Phillx

Phillx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi Mark,

Just after my post my PC refused to load windows past the desk top wallpaper, no icons.

As I was getting fed up with it I reinstalled windows XP and SP2. Once I got on the internet immediately got a load of traps with PCTools AV.

After that had multiple errors all wanting to report to Microsoft. These reports just recycled.

Tracked it down to three files installed on the C: drive.

qwvca.exe
wcbrd.exe
Isass.exe

Could only find the last one on Google.

Could not remove them normally, had to use Malwarebytes file assassin to get rid.

Now clean but still seem to have large upload speed.

Put the modem on a clean machine and it's fine so i'm going to format the drive on the first PC and see where we go from here as I can't get SP3 to load.

Cheers

Phill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users