Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 8.5 or ISP provided security suite?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hope someone can give me some advice here. I have two desktops and a laptop. On one of the desktops, I run AVG, have been happy with it and recently upgraded to 8.5 (free). For the laptop and the other desktop, I've been using the free security suite (Norton) provided by my ISP, Rogers. A couple of days ago, my laptop started acting strangely -- it would completely freeze about five minutes after booting up. Because of this, I couldn't run any of the virus detection or removal programs I had because they'd freeze and couldn't complete. I did post in the "Am I infected?" but unfortunately the suggestions were a little beyond my ability to use.

I took the laptop to the GeekSquad at the store where I bought the laptop (HP Pavilion). They say it is indeed a virus and they're backing up the files and reinstalling the system. So I'll have to reload all my programs. But the fellow there told me that the Norton security suite offered by the ISP is not sufficient and that I should buy the superior Norton product, 2009 360, that the one I had been using really only does half the job. So I'm having them put it in. This is all costing quite a bit.

That's the background. Now my question. I'm worried because I am using the same security that let the virus in on my laptop on one of my desktops. What should I do? Was what the GeekSquad fellow told me true or were they just trying to sell their Norton product to me? Should I leave the ISP provided Norton security on my desktop or would I be safer to switch that one over to AVG. I really hate having to pay for security software. So ISP provided Norton or AVG 8.5?

Thanks for any advice...
PS - I also use Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy as well as AdAware on all three machines.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

I'm also with Rogers. The current Norton is 2008. I had to reinstall it last week due to the scanning function being disabled by a virus. It seems to be OK now. Nothing is foolproof so I think paying extra is ridiculous. Stuff can get through regardless of what you're using. I scanned with the new Norton and it's clean. But I also have Spyware Blaster, Super Anti Spyware & Malware Bytes and I scan with the last two regularly. If you're consistent, you'll catch stuff before it can cause problems. My understanding is the Norton supplied by Rogers is the full version and includes firewall, anti virus & anti spyware and it has blocked attacks in the past. In this case, it said it blocked the attack but it did affect the Norton scanner but nothing else. I guess he's trying to tell you that Norton 2009 is better than 2008. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but I wouldn't pay 20 bucks to find out. It's easy for him to say when it's your money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users