Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with "Anti-virus Number 1"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Amaysin7

Amaysin7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hello everyone. If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it. I have recently been infected with the "anti-virus Number 1" virus which pretends to be a program preventing a virus.... trying to scare you into buying an anti-virus which doesn't do anything. It has slowed my computer down, and continues to alert me with the pop ups from the start menu by the clock saying things like "your computer is unprotected, etc. etc." all of which I have read are lies.

I have downloaded malwarebytes from this website but nothing has changed. I also downloaded Spy Doctor.... which scans my computer, says it's free, then shows me all my infected stuff.. but then says it will be 29.95 to remove.... This leads me to believe it's not true. But hell, if it is true I'll pay that to get this crap over with.

I'm currently on my roomate's computer trying to figure out this problem. Geek squad says its $200 flat fee to fix. I'm trying to avoid that.

If anyone knows anything about this, please help me..... There is a lot of stuff on google that explains the virus. But at this point I trust nothing.

thanks..

Dave

Edited by The weatherman, 22 March 2009 - 03:51 AM.
Moved from HJT thread, no log. TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

If you use any tools that monitor registry changes, such as Spybot S&D's Teatimer function, please disable them for now
Update mbam and run a FULL scan
Please post the results
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

Please update MBAM and run a quick scan on the infected computer

DB 1887 contain's updated definitions for the latest variant.

Today, 05:11 PM
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users