Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about size of images

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to put my photo on Facebook and Twitter, etc., and I have a question about the size of the image. Twitter says the image should be no more than 700k. Is there a difference between 700k and 700KB?

Also, I have a full-body picture that I want to crop into a headshot, but I also need it to be a large enough size to be seen when someone clicks on my profile. I tried cropping first and then enlarging, and the quality was crappy. I did this on Irfanview. What is the best way to do this and get a good quality image?

Thanks!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

When referring to file sizes, which are always expressed in bytes, "k" is short for "kB" (kilobytes).

If you want to increase the pixel dimensions of a crop, use the "resample" function. This will give the least apparent quality loss. But any enlarging process will always look lower in quality, as the same amount of detail is being spread over a larger area. The higher resolution can never be reconstructed perfectly. It's better if possible to start from a higher resolution original, so the cropped area comes out the size you want, or closer so less enlargement is needed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

Thank you!! Have a great day!!

Michele :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic