Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken browser

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfee

Wolfee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

Hi, several months ago my Internet explorer broke, or at least I think it broke, not sure. This occurred when I started to notice whenever I would try to post something in a forum I was told I had to log in first when I already did log in. Somehow or another I was unabled to stay log in at any site . Then I noticed I was unable to go into my email. I kept a denial because it claimed I was not allowing cookies when I was. Just to be sure I checked my internet tools options and yep I was too allowing them. So I don't know why I keep getting that message.

I downloaded Fire fox browser because of this. So far I've been happy with it except with the exception that I'm unable to download too many things before my Firefox stops responding. It keeps locking up after around 5 downloads and it's forcing me to use my Task manger to exit it. It's a real pain and time consuming. Is this somehow a built in safety mechanism Fire fox installed to prevent a user from downloading too many files? If so, I really don't like it. I like to play The Sims2 game on my computer and I like to download many items for it from Sim fan sites.

I would really like to fix my IE browser because of the above problem. Can you help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

I have absolutely no problem downloading many files, even at once, with FF; since I no longer use IE, I cannot help you fix that.
You might try uninstalling FF and then downloading and installing it again (you will NOT loose booksmarks, etc., in doing so).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Wolfee

Wolfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

Oh thank you so much for answering my post. Yes I'll try that tip you gave me. I'm glad to hear it's not the norm for Fire fox. I'm also glad to hear I won't lose my bookmarks when i reinstall it, so thank you again.

ETA: whoops, I missed the second part of your answer and asked a stupid question(regarding the IE browser thing), which I naturally edited it out :thumbsup:

Edited by Wolfee, 11 June 2005 - 10:52 PM.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:35 AM

Hi Wolfee,
It sounds like you might havea space problem on your hard drive. To clean up your system, just in case, try the following -

Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
Let us know the size of your hard drive, the amount of free space and the size allocated to your temporary internet folder.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Wolfee

Wolfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

OK Rimmer here's my Hardware specifications:

Dell Dimension 8400
Intel Pentium 4 with HT technology
Processor: 3.40 GHZ
Speed : 3.31 GHZ
Ram: 1024 MB

I Have a harddrive capacity of 70.93
of which 49.78 GB is free
I don't know what my Temp folder's capacity is or how to find out that information.
I tried to look in the system information to find it but didn't see it listed. I did do a run %temp% but al I saw was what was in the folder and not the capacity of it.

I've completed all the tasks you've told me to do and so far so good, Yea! I was able to download a whole of items (lots of things I really didn't need but oh well, it was an experiment, lol) with no freezing up problems. BTW I had over 1759 items in my temp folder that freed up 80 MB of space ! I then did a defrag and now everything is running more smoothly.

The only problem I had was that somehow or another my WINRAR (that I paid for) was located in the temp folder(don't know why it was there) and got erased, my fault ,of course, I should have looked. Anyway ,I just re-downloaded it again and will try to see if I can reuse my unlocking key number they gave me so I won't have to buy it again.

Now I can finally ignore my IE browser, I was still using it along with my Fire fox browser because I was still able to download items from sites that didn't require you to sign in to download. My IE browser never locked up, it let me download things to my hearts content. It was only the Fire fox browser that locked up

Thanks again to both of you for all your help!

Edited by Wolfee, 12 June 2005 - 10:12 AM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

Well with that much hard drive available you shouldn't have any space problems, particularly now you've defragmented.
The space allocated to 'Temporary Internet Files' is found under IE>Tools>Internet Options - in the 'Temporary Internet Files' box click Settings yu will see a slider and indicator for the max amount of disk space to use. IMO you don't need to allocate more than 200MB for this. Windows typically allocated 10% of the hard drive, which in your case would be 7GB!
Note this is a different folder to your temp folder, you should clean out this folder by pressing the 'Delete Files' and 'Delete Cookies' buttons in the 'Temporary Internet Files' box mentioned above.

If you really want to get serious about cleaning up your system check out the free app
CCleaner downloadable from here CCleaner
(Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs, they are for expert users only.)

Glad your system is running better now. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hi, several months ago my Internet explorer broke, or at least I think it broke, not sure. This occurred when I started to notice whenever I would try to post something in a forum I was told I had to log in first when I already did log in. Somehow or another I was unabled to stay log in at any site . Then I noticed I was unable to go into my email. I kept a denial because it claimed I was not allowing cookies when I was. Just to be sure I checked my internet tools options and yep I was too allowing them. So I don't know why I keep getting that message.

I downloaded Fire fox browser because of this. So far I've been happy with it except with the exception that I'm unable to download too many things before my Firefox stops responding. It keeps locking up after around 5 downloads and it's forcing me to use my Task manger to exit it. It's a real pain and time consuming. Is this somehow a built in safety mechanism Fire fox installed to prevent a user from downloading too many files? If so, I really don't like it. I like to play The Sims2 game on my computer and I like to download many items for it from Sim fan sites.

I would really like to fix my IE browser because of the above problem. Can you help me please?

Hello Wolfee
You have to specify OS .internet provider, fire walls and antyvirus so some body will help you, I use FF and no problem JL

#8 Wolfee

Wolfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

Hi again, thanks for answering
Jeez now I'm having the same problem with my FF browser. I can't stay logged on to any site for long. I just logged on when I entered this site and it showed my username(my Dog's name BTW) but when I entered any forum on this site, like this section we're in now, I got logged off again. I had to re-enter my username to log in again. Is this normal? This was the same problem I was having with my IE account. I really haven't fooled with any settings at all!I swear! lol

Now for your answer to question Chicha, I'm not quite sure of what OS means. Do you mean my service? I have MSN. I now use mostly Fire fox browser but occasionally use my IE browser for the above things I said before. I also like to read my MSN homepage on my IE browser for all the nice artices and links MSN provides. When I use the Fire fox browser all I see on that homepage is Google, which is nice because I like to look up things too.

I have many Firewalls, scanners etc. They are

Firewalls: Zonealarm,AVG's firewall, and Panda(just started using these last week)before these all I had was Windows XP firewall.

Anti Virus: AVG, Panda Platinum(new), a- squared, had Norton until it somehow got corrupted 2 weeks ago,hmmm, I think that's it for those.

Scanners: Spybot S&D, SpySweeper,AD-ware SE Personel,ewido security suite, CWshredder,ST1inger,GDiscan

Spyware blockers: SpywareBlaster and Spyware guard

Misc: HIJackthis.
I hope I didn't miss any. I like having all these installed.
Hope this is what you asked.

Edited by Wolfee, 13 June 2005 - 06:53 PM.

#9 Wolfee

Wolfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:14 PM

Sorry for the double post, but as soon as I sent the other message I got logged out again and couldn't edit my last message . Believe me I tried.

I wanted to edit 2 things, the first one was that I spelled articles wrong and the second thing is I also can't get into my e-mail account with Fire fox now. I'm going to reinstall and see if that fixes the problem.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

Am I reading this right?

Firewalls: Zonealarm,AVG's firewall, and Panda(just started using these last week)before these all I had was MS XP firewall.

Anti Virus: AVG, Panda Platinum(new), a- squared, had Norton until it somehow got corrupted 2 weeks ago,hmmm, I think that's it for those.

You're using 3 firewalls, and 2 antiviruses?

That could be a major part of your problem.
You should only have 1 of each, or they will conflict with each other.
Pick one, and get rid of the others.

You can run as many spyware programs, as you want.

By the way, the OS chicha1997 mentioned, stands for Operating System (Win ME, 98, XP, ......).

Edited by tg1911, 13 June 2005 - 05:30 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:44 PM

If you are having similar problems with BOTH Firefox AND Internet Explorer, the problem most likely does not reside in the applications, but perhaps with your internet connexion.

Having more than one firewall installed on your computer and running at the same time can cause conflicts within your operating system, as the two are constantly fighting to see which gets each packet first.

You can have more than one AV installed, but not running, at the same time; however, you have to be careful when deleting the viruses they find, since these may actually be definitions from another AV.

As TG1911 correctly mentioned, uninstall the duplicates. This may, especially with multiple firewalls, actually correct your internet problems.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 Wolfee

Wolfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

Yes, Thank you tg1911 and jgweed, you're both right. Just before signing in here after reinstalling Fire fox again I thought of what I just did today that might be the causing the problem and it was I installed Panda ! I just uninstalled it , checked to see if I could get into my email and I was able to. I should have said I installed Panda today but left that out.

Phew, you don't know how happy this made me. I was really beginning to think I had a real screwed up computer and it had to be repaired.

So now which firewall should I keep? I should add The AVG firewall is just a trial and wasn't conflicting with the Zone alarm at all. At least I don't think so. This new problem only occured after Panda was added.

Now that this I hope is settled, this still doesn't explain why my IE browser still won't let me into email and retain my logs in at sites. This IE problem has been occuring for months now when I only had Microsofts XP firewall and Nortons ANtVirus and Spy Sweeper installed. I only added all the others until fairly recently. I've gone into Internet options, clicked into to Privacy tab and checked my security settings which is at meduim level, I'm even allowing all session cookies and first party cookies.So why do I keep getting the message from hotmail that I'm not?

I should like to add my brother fixes computers for a large computer company and he can't figure this out either. I'm hoping one of you can help me

[QUOTE]By the way, the OS chicha1997 mentioned, stands for Operating System (Win ME, 98, XP, ......).[QUOTE]

Opps, don't I feel dumb, lol. Please forgive me I've been up since 4:45 am and had a real long day at work, guess my brain isn't up to par today. I have Windows XP :thumbsup:

Edited by Wolfee, 13 June 2005 - 06:51 PM.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:56 PM

Looks like chicha1997 asked a very good question! :thumbsup:

Just reiterating what has been said - you must only run one firewall and one installed anti-virus program on your system regardless of whether they seem compatible. If you add more there will be problems. (You can still run online anti-virus scans from another vendor to get a "2nd opinion" about the state of your machine.)

I have not used the AVG firewall but I find AVG and ZoneAlarm a good combo. Uninstall your excess programs, reboot and let us know how the internet runs then.

:flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 13 June 2005 - 07:10 PM.

#14 Wolfee

Wolfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

Yes Chicha1997 did Rimmer, and thank all of you ( jpweed,tg1911, Chicha1997 and you Rimmer) for all your help!!!

I guess I really don't need to know the reason why IE browser won't allow me access into my email. I was just curious and I wanted to know the reason why. That's all. But I don't need it. I have Fire Fox. I guess I'll just let it go and be happy . Fire Fox is way better then IE anyway.

Thanks again everyone! I really love coming to this site and I'm so happy to have found this place and to have met you all.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Wolfee, 13 June 2005 - 07:22 PM.

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

I'm glad we could help! :thumbsup:

(If that IE thing bugs you, feel free to post a new topic)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users