Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor compatability question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carlito2002wgn

carlito2002wgn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hi,

I'll start off by saying that I am really clueless when it comes to all of this, so please bear with me. I have a HP dv2035us with a Intel Centrino Duo Mobile processor T2050 (1.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB). I also have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz T7250 laptop processor laying around. I just replaced the hard drive in the HP with a 320GB 7200RPM, 16MB Cache, and doubled the RAM (2GB wich is the max).

I want to know if I can stick the T7250 in the HP. Is there a compatability issue with doing this? If so, then can I take other parts from the computer with the T7250, and put them in the HP so that everything will work? Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Is more information needed? Let me know!

Thanks!
Carlos

P.S. Second computer is a Dell D630

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

If the socket is the same type and the motherboard chipset supports it, yes CPU wise. Though I cant find anything that tells me what kind of socket type it has, Im guessing their both 775 its just whether or not the chipset supports it. as far as memory they both use the same type of memory. however the dell has 2 memory slots with 1 gig of ram in a 2 by 512 meg ram. chances are the HP is the same way, so moving modules prolly wont do you any good youll need to purchase bigger memory modules. If you do transfer CPUs, make sure you have clean the thermal interface material off of both CPUs and apply new thermal interface material when reinstalling.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 carlito2002wgn

carlito2002wgn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

If the socket is the same type and the motherboard chipset supports it, yes CPU wise. Though I cant find anything that tells me what kind of socket type it has, Im guessing their both 775 its just whether or not the chipset supports it. as far as memory they both use the same type of memory. however the dell has 2 memory slots with 1 gig of ram in a 2 by 512 meg ram. chances are the HP is the same way, so moving modules prolly wont do you any good youll need to purchase bigger memory modules. If you do transfer CPUs, make sure you have clean the thermal interface material off of both CPUs and apply new thermal interface material when reinstalling.

I feel that I may be way out of my depth on all of this. I have no idea what "thermal interface material" is. I wish I had someone who could walk me through what I want to do. Where can I learn more so that I don't screw things up?

By the way, thanks for your reply!

Carlos

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

well, here, or at say, wikipedia. IF your not sure what your doing, I would recomend finding someone there that you trust, a computer tech or someone to help you out, laptops can be a real pain to work on even for experienced techs. I rarely will work on one for that reason. but to answer your question this is thermal interface material: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835100005 what you do is when you remove the old heatsink and CPU is take a slightly damp (not wet, DAMP) paper towel, and wipe off the old material from the heatsink, and from the die of the CPU making sure not to get any on the CPU itself, and not to bend any pins. once its all off, insert the CPU into the socket, apply a small amount of the arctic silver (thermal interface material) onto the metal die of the CPU, about the size of a grain of rice, and spread it evenly over the entire die. Some people use a credit card for this, I have always used my fingers since the stuff I use is to thick to spread easily with a credit card, make sure the entire die is covered evenly and thinly, and then, making sure the heatsink is dry reattach it to the motherboard.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

From what I can tell the Intel 945PM chipset doesn't support an 800 FSB CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users