Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lukin922

Lukin922

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

I had an earlier problem with a windows image dll error, that I had resolved after working with DaChew. Now however whenever I re-start the computer the computer defaults to the 'classic' theme and not the standard 'XP' theme. I've worked to attempt to fix this however I am unable to start in 'Safe Mode'. When I attempt to start in 'Safe Mode' the computer hands and gives me several driver errors.

Lately, I have had several BSOD that appeared to occur for no particular reason. I was instructed to attempt to do a Kaspersky Online Scan, however my Java does not appear to be recognized. I have attempted several things to fix the Java issue, but to no avail. As such, I have not been able to run the Kaspersky Online Scan.

In looking at the Event Viewer there are many Errors listed for both Application and System.

Here are the list of the last several errors:
Application

Error - Userenv

Windows cannot unload your registry file. The memory used by the registry has not been freed. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account. If this problem persists, contact your administrator.

DETAIL - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Error - Application Hang

Fault bucket 1110235319.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

b]Error - Application Hang[/b]

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16791, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

System

Error - Service Control Manager

The PfModNT service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Not sure how to proceed, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

Here is the link to my previous issues and some of the things I have already done or attempted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/212466/error-cwindowssystem32mswmdmdll-is-not-a-valid-windows-image/

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

:flowers:

To fix the issue with the view problem have you tried right clicking the bottom ToolBar and clicking Properties then Start Menu, select top Start Menu then OK?

Just a thought on that one.

:thumbsup:

#4 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

I was able to get Java to work after uninstalling all previous versions and re-installling the latest Java version. I then ran the Kaspersky Online scan for 'Critical Areas'. The following is the log:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Sunday, March 22, 2009 04:33:14
Records in database: 1948638
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - Critical Areas:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Program Files
C:\WINDOWS

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 58166
Threat name: 1
Infected objects: 1
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 01:15:16

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ConTest.dll Infected: not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.Ascentive.b 1

The selected area was scanned.

#5 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

When I attempt to run Chkdsk /F, I get the following C: prompt information:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I selected Y, but have not restarted the computer yet.

I'm rerunning Kaspersky based on the information from extremeboy.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

Follow him first, Mate, he is a Professional.

I am no where in his Class.

#7 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Here is the log from Kaspersky My Computer Scan:

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Sunday, March 22, 2009 13:18:36
Records in database: 1949425

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
G:\
H:\
I:\
J:\
K:\
L:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 124882
Threat name: 1
Infected objects: 1
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 02:32:03

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ConTest.dll Infected: not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.Ascentive.b 1

The selected area was scanned.

I'm going to restart and hopefully the chkdsk F will work.

#8 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Chkdsk ran at restart and nothing abnormal showed up. The computer again defaulted to 'classic' theme on the restart.

#9 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

I've ran some registry checkers and in a lot of cases there appears to be a couple hundred bad registry entries based on "RegCure". Is there a free registry repair program that one would recommend? I don't feel confident messing around with the computer registry but I'm not sure if something in the registry is causing any of these issues.

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

:trumpet:

First up!

DO NOT MESS WITH THE REGISTRY! Unless you know exactly what you are doing, Mate.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

FWIW:

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

XP Fixes Myth #1 Registry Cleaners - Windows BBS - http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l74.html#backup

Langa Letter Testing 10 Windows 'Registry Cleaning' Software Packs October 10, 2005 - http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=171203805

Louis

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Just a bit of what for about your Machine?

What Version of XP do you have? Is it a Custom Build or what is it? Do you have a Sticker on your Computer with the Access Key? Do you have a Disk or Recovery Patition?

Chances are that you may need a reformat and reinstall, Mate.

If that is the case you will need to save your Data first, because there is a good chance it could be lost, if we proceed down that track?

Did you post back the Results of your second Scan to extremeboy? He may still have some Ideas about why it says that? I certainly bow to his knowledge and would not want to interfer with his Advise.

#13 Lukin922

Lukin922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

Awhile back, about a year ago, I downloaded a program called Eusing Registry cleaner or something of that sort. It was a free registry program that claimed to clean the registry. I used this program several times, and each time it would 'fix' 50-75 registry issues. Each time a ran the program, it would always find several registry issues. I haven't run this program in several months now, but I'm wondering if this program has cuased some issues with the registry which may have resulted in some of the recent issues I have had with the computer.

I will admit I have no business messing with the registry given my computer knowledge, however is there a way to determine if what I did is causing issues with the computer?

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

Yep, you can see the results yourself, now?

The main three Problems that most affect Home Computers beside Malware and Viruses?

1. Playing about with the Registry.

2. Playing about with Windows Files.

3. Incorrect Memory. (Not quite as Bad now)

Edited by Abacus 7, 22 March 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

My bigggest problem with the use of registry cleaners by those who don't have any clue about the registry...is the fact that the user has no idea of what is being done, what files are being deleted, why they might be deleted...what criteria the program employs to determine whether an entry should be eliminated or stay...etc.

If a clueless user decides to manually edit the registry...there's always the hope that the user at least was smart enough to make a backup of the registry before going in and changing anything...and there's even a chance that said user actually kept notes on the changes he/she made.

A registry cleaner can probably be described as...a program which does unknown things to important files in a Windows system...that cannot be undone by the user, since the user has no clue how to undo changes which have been made...or which changes should be undone...in the event of system problems.

Reminds me of all those automotive products that are sold to consumers who haven't a clue whether their gas mileage improved or whether their car is running "smoother". Except those products normally won't necessarily damage an auto, they just may not do what is advertised.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users