Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinPC Defender problems...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DarkStar

DarkStar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Yes, this problem started yesterday, when WinPC Defender automatically installed itself on my computer. I'm having a lot of trouble getting rid of it.

I visited a lot of sites with instructions about how to manually remove the virus. The problem is, they tell me to delete folders which I can't find. For example, telling me to delete a certain WinPC Defender folder from Program Files which isn't there for me.

I've tried the malwarebytes program, and I downloaded the setup program, but when I click it, and hit run, it doesn't do anything.

Also, I've tried doing a system restore. The problem is that when I choose the date, and click Next, it takes me to another screen that prompts me to click next to begin the system restore. However, after I click Next, nothing happens. :thumbsup:

Can someone please help with some advice? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rdbianco4

rdbianco4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

i had a similar problem with a program called "xp police" and i got rid of it with spyhunter3 by enigma software...good luck...oh you have to pay for the software...30.00

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I see where this rogue was just reported in the last few days

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=WinPC+Defender

A solution will probably appear soon
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 DarkStar

DarkStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

That's the thing though. I've looked at that page, and can't seem to find the WinPC files in the places it tells me to. When I run malwarebytes setup, I hit the Run button and nothing happens afterwards. I can't do a system restore because it gets to the last "Next" button, and the button won't do anything.

Is it possible there's more than 1 virus?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

Some of these newer advanced infections morph/change almost daily, at least weekly, in an effort to defeat new definitions and removal techniques.

The guide written a few days ago may be obsolete for the newest variant.

You probably should just go ahead and post in our HJT forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

We can help getting a scanner to run if you need it.

Edited by DaChew, 22 March 2009 - 09:46 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users