Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Replacement - Old one died.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 evme

evme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Hello folks.

I have a Dell Precision 450 Workstation and the ATI Fire GL graphics card it came with started to go. This card has a AGP 8X slot configuration. I purchased a PNY nVidia Quadro 4 980GLX to replace it. This card is made by PNY, but the graphics chip is from nVidia. It has the same slot configuration. So you know, this Dell computer has an Xeon 2.4GHz CPU and the motherboard is an Base, Devastator, 2.4GHZ, 533FSB, 450. When I spoke to Dell about replacing the graphics card, the technican said any AGP 8X card will work, but I have my doubts that was correct.

You see I installed the card and followed all the procedures, however when I started my computer the "Found New Hardware Wizard" is supposed to show up. It did not. Not thinking there is a real problem, I put the driver CD in and ran the install. What happen next is the program came up with the following error message: "NVidia Set-up could not locate any drivers that are compatiable with the current Hardware. Set Up will Exit!"

So I contact Dell and determined a hardware driver is missing for the motherboard chip set. Dell indicated that the graphic card manufacturer (PNY) should supply this. So I have written them a letter and been waiting to hear from them. In the meantime, my question is: Has anyone had this same problem before and what is the solution. My real concern is there might not be a hardware driver available. Any advise or discussion or comments would be most appreciated. :thumbsup:
Thank you for reading this over!

Ed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

that uses a quad GPUs right? very well could be a driver issue. I would wait for PNY to get back to you, or email them again.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Make sure your ATI drivers are removed first.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Get drivers and try those. I think your card is a Quadro XGL series.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users