Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows shuts down, goes to blue screen when I start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hajbo

hajbo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

Having a problem with a Dell Precision desktop, working fine when I bought it refurbished from Dell, then recently it blew the video card that came installed, nVidia Quadro FX 1400.
Bought GeForce 7300 GT to replace it. Put it in, now the computer will not start normally. It starts out correctly, I get the Windows XP screen, the Welcome screen, then the desktop wallpaper appears, all looks fine, but before the lower taskbar or any of the program icons begin to appear the computer shuts itself off and goes to a blue screen with message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your system.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in this Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapter.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and the select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8062DFB1, 0XB112499C, 0X00000000) "

Anyway, the computer DOES work in Safe Mode, also works in the Safe Mode with Networking mode. I used the networking mode to get the latest driver from nVidia site.
Pulled the video card from another older computer that I have, GeForce FX 5200, computer also works in Safe Mode but goes to blue screen when I try a normal startup, same as the 7300 card.

In Safe Mode, went to Device Manager, the computer recognized both of the cards under "Display adapters" pulldown window (one at a time, when each one was in). Don't see any yellow question marks or exclamation marks under Display Adapter, Network Adapters, System Devices pulldown windows.

Also in Safe Mode, ran Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, system looks clean. Also used System Restore to go to a previous version, still same startup behaviour when trying normal startup.

Don't know anything about BIOS other than where to find the version, or what the Stop message is talking about.

The computer came with a system re-install disk, have never done one before, hope it doesn't come to that.

Computer is Dell Precision 380.
OS is Windows XP Professional, v. 2002, Service Pack 3.
BIOS version A08
Card is Sparkle GeForce 7300 GT

-Hank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aanthonyz

aanthonyz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Im not sure what the problem may be but for the Bios Update that should be your last choice and there may be a chance that it will not work anymore that happened to me twice

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

From what I read, it seems that you have hardware problems. Not sure what you mean by "recently it blew the video card that came installed" but I would take that to be indicative that the problem is something other than the video card.

Not asserting my opinion as anything other than one man's opinion...I'm no expert.

How to determine whether it's a bad PSU or motherboard (my chosen suspects) is not easy, but that's the path that I would choose.

Louis

Edit: Fooling with the BIOS won't change those things.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2009 - 12:05 PM.

#4 hajbo

hajbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

What I mean by ''blew the video card'' is that while running the computer, it suddenly shut down and made an electrical burning smell, computer would turn on after that but monitor stayed dark, turned out video card had fried a processor (or whatever those tiny black boxes are soldered to the board), there was a hole burned in the top of one and scorch marks all around. Definitely a dead video card. Problems arose when I put in a new one, as described.
-Hank

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

That is hardware damage...I have not ever experienced such and I suggest that you await input from one of the members/visitors who has had some experience in dealing with such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users