Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Passwords

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 malexous

malexous

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

It is recommended to change your passwords every so often but why is this? I don't see the need if you have a good password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

The best reason is that it protects against unknown intruders. Say, for example, that your password became know to a malicious user. It doesn't matter how they got it, they got it and that's the important part. They wouldn't want you to know that they have access to whatever it is you're protecting with the password. You just go on like normal exposing the secrets you think are safe to someone who doesn't have your best interests at heart.

However, if you change you password regularly then this person is suddely out of luck. The more often you change it, the shorter the window of opportunity for the malicious person should they comprimise your password.

Granted, you needn't go nuts on every password you have. But important ones like your online banking password, your VPN password, passwords which protect highly sensitive information like credit card numbers or Paypal accounts ought to be changed regularly.

The downside to changing passwords regularly is the human capacity to forget things. there are stories of companies who imposed ridiculously strict password policies on their employees, and all that it accomplished was to make the employees write their passwords on post-its and affiv them to their computer monitors. Suffice it to say, that was not the intention of the policy!

Choose a good, strong, random password consiting of at least 8 characters, including numbers, upper and lower case letters, and symbols (, , , , , are good choices, for example) and you needn't change it for, say, six months.

In any event, be observant for unusual behavior with regard to such accounts. If money goes missing, find it, if credit charges are showing up that you don't remember, report them. And be ready to change your password at the first indication of a comprimise.

#3 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

I like to change my passwords now and than like ever 7 months. Also if you keeps your passwords long it will help. And i like to make my passwords in a catchy toon or related to something i love or is dear. Heres an example of one i had, my hamster died and i could not stop thinking about him, so i made my password his name backwards his name was Jake so i made it ekaj222 (222 was his age 3 times)

Edited by tylerisdabest, 27 March 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

It's also advisable to have a strong password reset question, case in point Sarah Palin's personal yahoo email account. Recently I created a yahoo email account and I must say their questions are pretty repetitive and simple. Most people I know would know the answer to them (friends). I wish it was like google where the question is customizable.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Yes, most of the questions asked to verify one are ones that people who know you would know the answers to. Just like banks and such that ask for your mothers maiden name, everyone who knows me knows that so I give a phony one, lol.

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

As I have always said, passwords only keep you out! because you forget them! I write this looking at a computer that nobody can remember the password for...and it is not my computer...did not do that one.

#7 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Using a password manager is a must, it allows you to have unique random-generated passwords for every site/service you use and still be able to `remember' them all.

I only have to remember two long&strong passphrases (One for disk encryption, one for password manager), that's all!
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#8 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

I pretty much change my password every 4 or 5 months, only because I've been hacked before.

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:00 AM

mabye for bank sutff or some thing
but you should be fine i never been hacked just and uesd the same pass words for years and i using windows me lol
but if you going to get your computer fixed (by any one or company)then mabye you should change ur pass works since every one knows dont trust does comanys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users