Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro and XP Home Networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 psquared

psquared

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

I have two identical PC's, one running XP Pro and one running XP Home. Both have the standard Macafee installed. Both are connected through a DLink 4-port hub. The XP Pro connects via Dialup to the Internet. With the XP Pro connected to the Internet, I ran the ICS on both. I have set static IP address of 192.168.0.1 for the XP Pro and 192.168.0.5 for the XP Home. There are no LAN settings or Proxy server settings in Internet explorer. I have the DNS address as 192.168.0.1.

Whe I launch Internet Explorer on the XP Home PC after the Internet is connected on the XP Pro, it immediatly displays the Cannot find server page. It does not even attempt to find the home page.

With these exact same settings, it worked fine the first day I setup the network. Appx one week later and ever sice, I cannot get the Internet shared.

All normal network operations are fine. I can ping both ways, I can access shared files and printers. The only thing I cannot get working is the Internet share.

Any ideas?

Paul Porter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:17 PM

The IP settings on the ICS client should be set to 'Obtain IP address Automatically' and no DNS specified.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 psquared

psquared
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the assist. That fixed the problem. After SP2 was installed, I was having problems with the XPHome PC issuing an IP address went set to generate one automatically. Today it generated an address right away.

Again, thanks for the assist.

Paul P.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:17 AM

Your welcome. Glad that fixed it! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users