Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advise needed on data recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rav01

rav01

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

Recently I had some virus problems, and unfortunarely was not able to recover from them. I was eager to beat this, but when I received the error:

"Buffer overun detected!

Program: /??/C:/WINDOWS/system32/winlogin.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has currupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continie and must now be terminated"

and could not even boot into safe mode, I decided it was time to get rid of this crap by brute force!

The full story is availible here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-c...ware-virus.html

Since it looks like it is looking bleak for me beating this malware, I want to just get the data I need off the harddrive and put it on my external harddrive, run a format and reinstall with the recovery disk on the buggered HD and then put all my data back on there from my external HD. Is my theory sound, and should this get things back to normal? I tried to find out how I would go about doing this through google and ended up at this site. I understand I could use another PC to put my harddrive in, and copy the needed data from there onto my external hardrive? Could I get more info on this? Thanks, I just want to beat this damn issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:48 AM

Anyone?

I want to get data from my malware ridden hard drive onto another harddrive, any assitance?

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

You can hook your HD to another computer as a slave drive and access it that way. Is all the malware off of it? I'm no HJT tech or any kind of genius at that stuff but maybe booting into safe mode and running a check and clean while it is the slave before acessing it and copying files would work. Hopefully someone who is good at that will be along and correct me, if I'm wrong, and guide you strait... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

:thumbsup:

Happy to help you out with what you want, but just before that why not Post it in "Am I Infected" first and let some of our Experts look at it first?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

While they look at it, just don't post here, or do any thing else, until they give you the all clear?

:flowers:

#5 rav01

rav01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

sure, will do.

Edited by rav01, 22 March 2009 - 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users