Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with side-by-side configuration errors.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Monkeyvich

Monkeyvich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hi, I am not very familiar with Vista due to loathing. But I have to use it on a friend's system.

I have a freeware game which will run on either XP or Vista fine. (Dwarf Fortress if you must know the app.) The best way to get your saved game to another system is to just zip up its whole directory and flashdrive it to the next PC. XP thinks this is fine. When I take the game FROM a Vista system to my XP system, it works fine. If i take that game BACK to Vista (or any other game for that matter which started or was run on XP at ALL), it gives me the following error on running the progra

"The application has failed to start because of a side-by-side configuration error ..." (paraphrased)

The event log reveals the following:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\Joebob\Desktop\Dwarf Fortress - Seacliffs + mod\Dwarf Fortress\Dwarf Fortress.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Users\Joebob\Desktop\Dwarf Fortress - Seacliffs + mod\Dwarf Fortress\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.MANIFEST" on line 4. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8". Definition is Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Running sxstrace has not been something I've managed to figure out.

Why is this happening and how can i fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Although I'm not familiar with SXSTrace myself, this article seems to explain it well: http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2006/04/14/576314.aspx

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users